Tom's Hardware does Apple tribute

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lord Blackadder, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Sort of ironic considering how Tom's generally ignores Apple...but the times they are a changin'....

Link

Apple: the once and future king of microcomputing. Get ready for the Pirates of Silicon Valley 2: The Search for More Money (or is that something else?:rolleyes: ).

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Good story .. but i love this part:
    The Bolden part is mine :eek: :eek:

3. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This may be a nice trip down memory lane! :D

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I thought it was a bit fawning, though accurate - which makes it even funnier when you think of the bad old days of the mid-late 90's - I'll bet no tech publication would have excpected Apple to make it to its 30th birthday with 8 billion in the bank! :eek:

It looks like this will be a good review of Apple history for those Mac newbies out there - Apple was a huge player in the PC market of the 80's.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I've been following this tribute. It's been quite interesting. Much of the history of Apple I am already familiar with. It is interesting reading the authors own experience with the Apple II since I was too young then to use them. Given that I wasn't born yet:p . I got on the bandwagon in 1993 but remember using IIe's in the 80's.
    My family got it's first computer in 1987 I believe. Although it was an AST 286 10mhz, 640KB of RAM, and a 20MB Hard drive with CGA graphics. It ran DOS 3.3 and Windows 2.0.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yay Apple! Glad to see Tom's Hardware paying Apple some well deserved attention. :)

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

At least it's a group (?) that can do it right. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this.

9. Takumi macrumors regular

interesting indeed

more good reads to come from tomshardware

Takumi

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I remember being stationed in Korea in the early 80's and the rave was to get a Krapple.

Krapple was short for a Korean knock off of the Apple // computer. These knock offs of the Apple // were identical but for 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost.