Tom's Hardware releases their list of "worst game of the year and other awards..."

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
  2. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Well I thought the bit on Prey and Zelda TP was stupid, and I don't know about GoW but its nto a big complaint anyways, I found that article extremely dissapointing, slightly bias and lacked a little depth in analysis, it was just very shallow and what you would expect a random message board user to write in 10 minutes.
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Sounds like they're bitter about every game released this year :confused:

But then again, it didn't outright say any one of those games were bad. Just pointing out some weak spots.

Big whoop.
  4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    It did feel like they were nitpicking for the sake of it. I've felt that Toms Hardware has really deteriorated since they changed the website to a more ad friendly design. I'm pretty sure they weren't bought out though like Sharkey Extreme was, they've just gone the money making way, which is fair enough I suppose. Their articles often feel like they lack structure these days and they've been becoming more biased day by day. :(
  5. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I only skimmed over it but it seemed pretty fair to me. It's not like they're calling them all the worst games of the year, they've picked out specific issues that are pretty much right. And they mention the PS3 "baby" commercial, so they've got some brownie points right there. ;)
  6. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Huh. I just google video'd it since you mention it. I kinda like it. Creepy, but in a good way.
  7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Prey - very very boring game
    Dead Rising save - :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

All in all, a relatively well written rant
  8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    Speaking of worst game, anyone else here expereience the "film-quality graphics" of Fight Night on the PS3... Yeah, film quailty... What were they smoking, this game is a PS2 port that was barely modifed for the PS3's hardware.

Any game that touts filim-quality, or photo-realism graphics, when refering to the realtime polygon art it renders, is on my worst list, since that's currently not possible.

9. garethlewis2 macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2006
    After reading it for a for a while I had the distinct feeling this was written by a PC loving graphic whore.

Now there is a little lip service to gameplay in there, but this is instantly nullified by the section about COD3 not available on the PC and the Double Agent game looking better on the 360.
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The "slow first hour!" arguement seems trivial if you played Kingdom Hearts II this year, which had a 3 hour long tutorial before you even SEE the main character.

THAT was a long intro.
  11. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    So a breakdown

Most Disappointing Game: Prey
    The narrative was boring, the game play wasn't very exciting, the various enemies were completely unoriginal and the maps and levels inside the alien sphere all blended together into one undistinguished mess.

Worst Shooter: Black
    The relentlessly mind-numbing and monotonous action, coupled with terrible writing and so-so game play, lulled me into a zombie-like state.

Worst Sequel: Call of Duty 3
    The only thing I liked about this game was the enhanced grenade features, which allows players to pick up an enemy grenade and toss it back and also hold grenades for a few seconds before tossing it to time the explosion. But that's pretty much it.

Worst Movie Adaptation: The Da Vinci Code
    It reeks of a rush-job that was made to cash in on a summer blockbuster movie and a big money license. So the Da Vinci Code gets the worst award.

Worst GTA Knockoff: Scarface
    I expected more from a game based on such a popular, influential movie than a clone of the "Scarface" inspired Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Worst Launch Title: Red Steel
    Red Steel is more of a blemish for Ubisoft and first-person shooters for the Wii.

Worst Non-game play Feature: Dead Rising's save system
    Here's the deal: you only have one opportunity to save in-game progress per memory deviceDead Rising is an excellent game but I can't believe no one at Capcom picked up on this before the game shipped.

Worst Dialogue/Voice Acting: Gears of War.
    There aren't many complaints or criticisms about Gears of War, but this is one of them. The dialogue is awful, and not quite bad enough to be so bad that it's actually good

Worst Box Art: Blitz: The League (Xbox 360 version)
    I can't think of two worst poster boys for a sports game, and I can't figure out why Midway games would want to put Taylor and Romanowski's ugly mugs on the box in all their knuckle-dragging, drug-fuelled glory.

Worst Platform Snub: Call of Duty 3 on the PC
    Seriously, what's happening to the Call of Duty series? And more importantly, what's happening to PC gaming? Perhaps we need to stage some sort of intervention with Activision

Worst First Hour of Game Play: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
    Talk about a slow opening. Yeesh. To be sure, Twilight Princess has a lot going for it. I'm well into the game now and it's redeeming itself quite well. But I'm reluctant to heap tons of praise on Twilight Princess because the first hour-plus of play is slower than the automated checkout line at Home Depot

Worst Delay: Superman Returns: The Videogame
    Uh, guys? The movie came out six months ago. Earth to EA, come in please. I'm not sure what caused this delay. It may have been development issues with the game, or it may have been a strange business decision to hold the title back until the DVD release of the movie.

Worst Commercial: the infamous PlayStation 3 "baby" commercial.
    This television spot is the exact opposite of the Gears of War commercial featuring the song "Mad World," which made me want to buy the game the day it came out. Watching that creepy doll freaked me out almost as much as the toy clown in "Poltergeist."

Worst Bugs and Glitches: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    Yes, PC games being released with bugs is nothing new. But this game has a lot of them, and they basically render the game unplayable. And then eager Splinter Cell fans were greeted with another major SNAFU: despite the box indicating otherwise, Double Agent doesn't support Shader Model 2.0. As a result, Sam Fisher followers were forced to upgrade an otherwise perfectly suitable graphics card just to play Double Agent. And the Xbox 360 version - gulp - looks better. What's happening to PC gaming?

Worst Game of 2006: Reservoir Dogs
    Hands down, this is one of the worst games I've ever played, let alone the worst game of 2006.

And I'd agree with pretty much all of them. :)
  12. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    I haven't played enough of the games to agree or disagree, the article at a whole felt very nitpicky an un-professional though, not the kind of thing I would expect from a giant like Tom's. Well not what I would have expected from them a few years ago. I put it up here for people to defend their favourite games since so many of the games people are going on about right now are on this list.

As for the GoW vs Baby adverts, my girlfriend saw the GoW advert in the cinema and even *she* was interested, in fact I think the whole cinema shut up to watch just that advert. If I owned a 360 it would have made me get that game too.
  13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Ecept it seems very obvious why they chose the cover boys for Blitz: The League, hello... that is what the game is about, that is it's entire spin. Who else would better fit a cover for that game? lol.
  14. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005

Do you know I was more dissapointed by the fact it was pretty much a bog standard NFL style game.. I thought with a name like that and a cover as it is, it would be more like the old speedball of old.. :eek:
  15. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    It seems like whoever wrote the article read the gamer's manifesto and applied it for the most part to this years past games
  16. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
  17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed

I concur. They also need to put up there worst xbox live arcade game.. The Smash Bros. Knock off game.