TomTom Brings Homer Simpson Voice Guidance to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 26, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GPS navigation firm TomTom today announced that it has brought its Homer Simpson celebrity voice for turn-by-turn directions to its U.S. iPhone applications, appearing as a $5.99 in-app purchase.
    The Homer Simpson voice has been available on TomTom's standalone GPS devices for several years, but is only just now appearing as an option on the iPhone.

TomTom U.S.A is currently priced at $49.99 in the App Store.

Article Link: TomTom Brings Homer Simpson Voice Guidance to iPhone

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502a

Vundu

4. macrumors Core

alphaod

Ah, so they've finally figured out how to milk their existing customers for more money.

5. macrumors 6502

Sure it will be useless as it will not be able to speak road names etc. if you select a 'real' voice.

6. macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

You mean, this is akin to Apple bringing out the iPad 2 with features that could have been in the first iPad? Now I understand!:rolleyes:

7. macrumors Core

alphaod

No, that's not the same; if Apple told folks with first generation iPad they needed to pay $6 for AirPlay or something, then it would be comparable.

8. macrumors regular

9. macrumors member

D'oh

What about Snoop!?!? Don't get me wrong, Homer is amazing, but gots ta get me some shizzle bizzle!

10. macrumors member

It's just the same, just as Apple's been doing since the introduction of the 1st iPhone...... I'll probably still get it as soon as it;s in the UK though! :D

11. macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

I see, so TomTom is forcing their customers to purchase that Homer voice? I missed that. Thanks for putting that right!

12. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Now that I would pay extra for!

13. macrumors 6502

Tastannin

If Homer takes off, your wish may be granted - TomTom already has Snoop's voice for their standalone GPS devices, so it's not a far reach to see others coming.

Now, if I could hear, I'd look forward to Darth Vader giving me directions on my iPhone. :D

My youngest daughter probably would be more thrilled with Dora the Explorer. There's many more including James Bond (Roger Moore), KITT, etc.

14. macrumors member

Distracting?

I've never tried these "funny" voice, so I'm wondering if they're not distracting and/or annoying when you're actually trying to concentrate on getting from A to B.

Is everyone here who tired any kind of special voice for their GPS happy with the concept, or did some go back to regular voices?

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

17. macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's awesome, I hate those canned voices that come with GPSs. It's definitely worth $6 to me to pick a new voice to hear, especially if it's going to be funny.

18. macrumors member

?

the thing is, these "celebrity voices" i'm sure don't speak all the street names, like the "normal" voice does.....

so how does it work? is it like

[Homer's voice] "Woohoo! Turn left on"

[Normal voice] "Main Street"

19. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

A few years ago, Doonesbury did a parody of celebrities negotiating for the rights to do GPS voice-overs (DeNiro, Streep, etc...). Like so much in this country, parody has turned into reality.

http://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2009/11/12/

20. macrumors 603

Homer

Bring this one to Australia.... I'll get it :)

21. macrumors member

I reck it'd be like before text-to-speech where street names weren't given, they'll just be ommitted.

The write-up states celeb voices for the first time. My TomTom app has had Yoda's voice for sale for ages...... are they suggesting Yoda's not a celeb..... how dare they..... libelous!!! :eek:

22. macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

It's here, check your updates (v1.7)

23. macrumors 6502

Instead of wasting your time with Homer, how about a native iPad version, TomTom?

24. macrumors 6502a

The iPad version requires an accessory kit consisting of a person sitting in your passenger seat to hold it up for you with both hands. This is tricky as the accessory needs to be both "shotgun"-compliant and legally mounted. Needless to say, development time is longer.

25. macrumors member

lol