TomTom Car Kit - Am I missing something? iPhone won't fit

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kepardue, Jan 7, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2006
    I got the TomTom USA software because of the holiday sale as a backup GPS, which became my primary GPS on a recent trip after my old Garmin died. Not wanting to hold the phone in my hand the whole trip, I picked up the TomTom Car Kit at an Apple store.

Unfortuantely, I can't seem to be able to make the iPhone fit into it. All of the reviews say that the phone gently locks into place, but the only way I was able to get mine to fit was by forcing it, which subsequently cracked the black plastic casing at the top of the phone (no biggie I guess, this phone already has a crack in the screen and is rather scuffed up).

I don't have a case on the phone... just the stock iPhone 3G. I can't find a way to make the car mount give any to allow the phone to fit into it...

What gives??
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2009
    United States
    I have used both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS with no problem even with a slim barley there case attached to the iPhone. I'm assuming your car kit is for the iPhone and not for the iPod touch?
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2006
    Really, really frustratingly odd. I'll take a picture of it and upload it so you guys can see when I get home from the office this afternoon. I just can't understand what the deal is.

It is a 3G, btw.
  4. macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2009
    im pretty sure u got the ipod touch kit accidentally
  5. macrumors 68000

May 12, 2009
    USG Ishimura
    QFT, the exact same thing happened to me. I called them up to let them know and they sent me the correct one right away
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2006
    Ugh, I wonder if that may in fact be the reason. I asked the lady at the Apple Store for the TomTom car kit, that's what she gave me. Bet I neglected to say "iPhone." D'oh!