TomTom Car Kit Details Revealed by FCC

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Engadget has pointed out that information on the highly-anticipated TomTom Car Kit is now up on the FCC's site following its testing for approval.

[​IMG]

The entry includes internal and external photos of the kit as well as the user guide. The FCC also tested the Bluetooth capability of the kit. The kit's user guide states that a Bluetooth connection is required to use the iPhone with it.

[​IMG]

The internal photos of the kit clearly show its SiRFstarIII GPS chip. According to previous reports, the GPS capability will allow the kit to work with the iPod touch and other 3rd-party GPS applications.

TomTom recently released a new video highlighting the features of the car kit, which can be viewed here. The MacRumors First Look review of the TomTom App can be found here.

Article Link: TomTom Car Kit Details Revealed by FCC

2. macrumors 6502a

optophobia

I heard the unit will be free with the Navigon app :cool:

3. macrumors newbie

Bluetooth?

You need to connect it to Bluetooth? No effing way. I'm using the Parrot MKi9200 in my Mazda that connects via Bluetooth and I do not want to lose that connection. Forget using the TomTom kit to handle calls. I hope you can still use all the GPS features without connecting to Bluetooth.

4. macrumors regular

Looks like a nice package, although I don't like the look of having 2 cords covering my dashboard.

5. macrumors newbie

This is dumb

Okay, I understand that for non-GPS-enabled devices like the Touch and 1G iPhone that the GPS is needed, but it seems redundant if you have a 3G or 3GS. That's one reason I upgraded. It just seems stupid and wasteful to buy a kit with GPS if you already have GPS in your phone.

I guess I'll skip this kit and just get a regular mount, and get the Bluetooth adapter for my car stereo. Probably cheaper that way, too.

6. macrumors 65816

The GPS on the 3G/3GS is not super-accurate. I've gotten mis-directed a few times in city driving and such, and wouldn't really trust it 100%. It's led me to pull over, look at Google Maps without tracking, and find my way around.

It's not terrible, but has been off by a couple hundred yards, which is the difference between making the right turn or shooting past your destination.

7. macrumors 68020

Diode

Where did that rumor come from?

8. macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I have never had an accuracy problem with the iPhone's GPS chip. What I've had create a problem many, many times is that it takes AT&T forever to load and update the map, and by then I've missed my turn. The limiting factor on the iPhone's Map App is not the GPS chip but the sloooooooow data connection from AT&T that updates the map.

I don't think the car kit will be completely free (it might), but I think it will probably be like $9.99 or something and available only to people that have already purchased the TomTom App. Maybe you use the TomTom App to order the car kit (open TomTom, click on settings, click on "order car kit," for example)

9. Guest

iGary

And you'll have to take your cover off to use it. No thanks.

I went and bought this in the mean time, which wobbles a bit, but I can keep the case on and use it just fine.

[​IMG]

10. macrumors member

First of all, a device doesn't connect TO Bluetooth, it connects VIA Bluetooth. But in this case, connects to WHAT? The car? For what? I'm already connected to my car via the iPhone's Bluetooth for phone calls. Now a cradle wants to take over that function? Is it going to emulate a phone call in order to get its directions to be heard over the car speakers?

Also this cradle takes over the dock connector, so say goodbye to listening to your music with your car's iPod integration (if you have that) as well as FM modulation or video output to a mobile screen via that same dock connector. They should have made a pass-thru.

11. macrumors newbie

Stop whining

This is the best navigation app so far. I suggest that you guys stop whining about trivial things "have to take your cover off", "2 cords covering my dashboard" seriously...that is not important.

If you have a cover that requires you to remove it to use a cradle then you didnt think ahead in your initial purchase, if you have a an issue with 2 cords covering your dash then move it out of the way of anything important, either way, its clear that you dont charge while driving now or you would know that 2 cords cause as much trouble as 1 cord...hardly any.

Personally i think this is great and i will be getting this on my expense acount as im due a new sat nav. I wont be using it for blue tooth or calls as the blue tooth has never worked with my Jawbone and calls will likely sound crap anyway.

I think this is an excellent app with a good commercial but i doubt many will pay that much for an app when you can get a stand alone unti for the same price. With all the hardware there and any hardware on offer simply an "EXTRA" the price seems steep.

12. dZp
    macrumors 6502a

dZp

13. macrumors 601

t0mat0

Not necessarily - if the sponge can accomodate the extra width, the only issue is around the dock connector. I'd imagine this and other accessories will be available from the 9th.

14. macrumors 6502a

TT employee? How about you take your attitude and stick it up your 4th point of contact.....

Of course you used each of the other options out there so you could make the blanket statement that TT is the best right? Plus the complaint isn't that you can't dock on TT car kit with case on, but that it doesn't look like it will fit with a case on. What you may think isn't important others may think IS important, so please understand the world does not revolve around you. Did you channel Nostradamus to find out that the calls would "likely sound like crap anyway"? Only thing you got right in your self-absorbed rant was the price for sw and hw seems steep.

15. macrumors 68020

samh004

Wondering exactly what the bluetooth will be used for, as I was pretty sure that's why the dock connector was there, so all the services could run through it.

I look forward to the accessories release though so a proper review can come out about the complete experience. Till then, it's all speculation.

16. macrumors 601

macduke

If this uses Bluetooth for a data connection, then this kit will not work with the first gen iPhone or first gen iPod Touch. Those devices do not support Bluetooth for data, only voice on the first gen iPhone and I don't believe there is even a Bluetooth chip in the first gen iPod Touch.

17. macrumors newbie

Up-to-date Maps????

Up to date maps is a joke! I've lived in the same house (with the same address) for over 16 years. According to TT my house doesn't exist.

As of now I wish the cost of purchasing the app on my Amex card didn't exist!

18. macrumors member

I purchased TomTom last weekend and have been using it all week on a roadtrip from Chicago to Alabama to Ohio. I'm using a griffin window mount.

I was looking forward to the car kit, but I have had zero problems with gps signal. I see no reason to upgrade to the car kit.

19. macrumors 6502a

My thoughts are there is no mention if video playback will work. I assume the Bluetooth will be used for communication between the GPS chips and the hands free function. Unfortunately the manual says nothing about how to operate the hands free feature. Seems like the introduction of verbal commands could be included in a later update. I am not keen that a second line out/in cord is needed especially since not all the vehicles I use have a line out option.

I am a little confused by all these GPS units. Maybe someone can clarify. I do not travel often but put on a good amount miles. Fortunately I have a keen knack for remembering where I am after one visit and how to connect previously visited places even years later. One look at a map gets me there. That being said I traveled recently and brought a unit with me. I found that I spent my time buried in the unit (another driver) and have no idea where we went or how to get back there. Who are these units for?

20. macrumors 65816

bbotte

I'll buy the dock maybe, no way on the app. I'll stick to using google maps. Now maybe the phone will charge while using GPS.

21. macrumors 68000

It most likely uses Bluetooth for the iPhone's connection to the TomTom Kit's built-in speaker and microphone (i.e. to accept and make calls). Thus, the kit acts much like a Bluetooth headset. I have a somewhat similar setup for my car which uses Bluetooth to connect to a combined speaker/mic that clips to my car's sun visor.

As for the price of the TomTom Car Kit, I've seen estimates of around $200+ (U.S.) which at that price will apparently include the TomTom app for the iPhone. Thus, you might expect that the kit by itself would be somewhat north of $100 (without the app).

As for the iPhone's turn-by-turn GPS accuracy (which includes map accuracy combined with GPS errors), I'd place it at something around +/- 50 yards based upon my experience with the CoPilot Live GPS app. Thus, with that accuracy it isn't 100% reliable and the voice prompts (in particular) can be misplaced or plain wrong under some situations. Frankly, after reading reviews on multiple products and given my own experience I'm beginning to think that turn-by-turn GPS on the iPhone is NOT a very reliable navigation solution -- think of it as a tech "toy" that can be somewhat useful when all else has failed. However, don't take these comments as a complete slam again the CoPilot Live GPS app since for $35 it's a pretty good deal (CoPilot can be useful even given its accuracy limits and somewhat incomplete map data). However, given what I now know about GPS on the iPhone I think the $100 price point on the TomTom app is unrealistic. In any case, I'm willing to wait judgement on the TomTom Car Kit until it actually ships (given pricing, GPS accuracy, and how well it works for hands-free calls, etc.).

22. macrumors member

Huh? The damn thing has the iPhone sitting INSIDE of it, connected via the dock connector, and you're telling me it wants to use a Bluetooth WIRELESS connection to make the speakerphone feature work? That is completely INSANE.

We all like the cradles we have, the iPod audio integration we have, the Bluetooth speakerphone connections we have. We do not need Tom-Tom trying and failing to replicate all this. We simply need a stronger GPS chip, with Sirfstar IV, not III in it, that clips to the iPhone's dock connector with a pass-thru for the rest of our accessories, which will power it just fine.

Tom-Tom should change the name of their company to "Not Well Thought Out".

If you're the kind of guy who drives a cheap car without Bluetooth and iPod audio integration, then you probably don't have an iPhone and if you do, you probably will be fine with the iPhone's built-in GPS and mapping. The only people who want a high-end 3rd party navigation app DO NOT NEED this low-end accessory.

23. macrumors 6502a

Wow, I love the music in their ad. I would buy it off iTunes if they had it on there.

As for the app -- I am still skeptical about using an iPhone for GPS in your car, because of how hot it will get, baking in the sun on your dashboard. Does not seem like the best idea.

24. macrumors 6502a

You're throwing "we" around a lot there. Guess I must have been on vacation the day you were elected spokesperson for all iphone users who use GPS on here.

I'm sure TomTom have thought about what they're doing - they're not exactly newcomers to the incar navigation market, nor to integrating their software with other vendors hardware. When their car kit is released I'll consider it and if its better than my (admittedly jury rigged) current setup then I'll upgrade and if not then I won't. Isn't having a choice wonderful?

25. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Starting to get excited about this TomTom kit.. can't wait for the reviews to come out..