TomTom Car Kit for iPhone to Be Priced at $119.95 in U.S.

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

GPSTracklog reports that TomTom has released a brief statement noting that the GPS car kit for the iPhone will be priced at $119.95 in the U.S. when it launches next month and will be compatible with all iPhone models. The press release reportedly reads:
    The company released a similar statement yesterday after the device briefly appeared in a number of European Apple online stores, but U.S. pricing was not addressed at that time. The listings on Apple's site had suggested that the TomTom iPhone application would be included in the car kit price, but TomTom's statement clarified the situation by noting that the application is in fact not included and must be purchased separately.

Article Link: TomTom Car Kit for iPhone to Be Priced at $119.95 in U.S.

2. macrumors member

Wow, gonna have to pass on this retarded ****. Too bad if it was around $50 I would have grabbed it up for sure.

3. macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I think they really missed the mark with this one, I'd rather buy a dedicated unit with a bigger display. $119 bundled with the app is one thing but $119 in addition to the app... :confused:

4. macrumors 68020

juanster

Yeah. No thanks. A bit too pricey without the app. I can get a better stand alone unit for that price. I know it's the greatest of all in one device. But it simply isn't worth that much more IMO.

5. macrumors 601

DMann

6. macrumors newbie

That price point is way off base in my opinion. I can't imagine that TomTom will be very successful in selling many units. As others have said, the low cost of a dedicated GPS unit doesn't justify shelling out $99 for the app + $119 for the car kit. It's a shame...this was my most anticipated purchase of the year and now I won't even be buying it.

7. macrumors member

hoits2000

8. macrumors 68020

Wow, I've never used a dedicated GPS or even used turn-by-turn GPS on the iPhone. Was looking forward to this but $119 + $99 for the app? That is ridiculous. What is your $119 getting you? A charger, a cradle and additional GPS which helps with what? The iPhone built-in GPS is good enough.

I'll stick with the very free Google Maps.

9. macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

10. macrumors newbie

TomTom has screwed up once again......

First they did it with the $99 pricing of their app. Honestly, they should have done like Navigon and had an introductory price of like $69 for a limited time.

Now they want people to pay $120 for the cradle? I bought the app, and the GPS built into the phone works just fine....and I bought a generic holder by Griffin for $10. I have an AV jack in my car for sound, and a car charger. Ta dah!! I doubt many will sell at that price....they will end up having to lower that price.

11. macrumors 68030

Mlrollin91

Thats insane. What is tomtom thinking. I'm going to stick to my Griffin Windowseat. Works perfectly for what I need. Also much happier with Navigon software.

12. macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

13. macrumors 68020

I really like the design. It's by far my favorite of the docks that I have seen. I MAY consider it, but only because I own 3 iPhones (2g, 3g, 3gs) that would all benefit from the single software purchase.
    The question is, would it be possible for navigon to utilize the GPS hardware? I am assuming no, but I'm not familiar with the dock API.

14. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

So does it not work with iPods like they said it would?

P-Worm

15. macrumors 6502

After considering to purchase this when I heard about it and the release of the TomTom App I can say now that I will be looking for a better (cheaper) alternative that is atleast reasonable.

$119 for just the holder and another $99 for the app isn't worth it when looking at the competition.

16. macrumors 68020

nope

nope, too much. Not gonna do it. Don't think many others will either.

17. macrumors member

Navigon + Kensington = Perfect

Wow, Tom Tom really has no real concept of what is reasonable.

Glad I went with the Navigon app and a Kensington windshield mount. Works perfectly, and Navigon has already released two updates in the time Tom Tom has been stuck at 1.0.

Got the whole combo for under $90 too. :)

Go with Navigon, people...support the company that a) has a working, highly-rated app, b) is regularly updating it, and c) isn't screwing its customer base with ridiculous pricing.

18. macrumors 6502

brasscat

What a pile of techo-carp. Nothing like releasing a product at such an insane price point people start hating the brand.

19. macrumors 6502

blizaine

Navigon is the way to go. Works great. I'll probably also purchase the live traffic update when it comes out because it's a one time fee.

20. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have been holding off on my decision to get a Nav app until I saw more information on this. Damn that sucks. If it was $119 with the app, I'd buy it today. But $199 + $99 = no thanks.

BTW I have been researching GPS modules, most of the stand alone module boards cost about $80 each. I'm sure they are getting a discount but they are likely to be spending $40 to $50 just for the GPS module. Kinda sucks.

Then again, I might not have found the right "source" yet.

21. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The price is too high. I would be tempted to just buy the app by itself, but $99 still sounds too high to me.

22. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

23. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

24. macrumors 65816

bbotte

I'll buy it when they figure out how high they priced it and it is slashed down in price. I can see a promo in the future of buy the app and get the car kit at 50% off.

25. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. What in the world were they thinking? Can't imagine that they will sell to many of them at these prices (kit + app).