TomTom for iPhone Set to Gain Real-Time Traffic Updates, Local Search

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 2, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MobileCrunch reports that TomTom has issued a press release announcing the submission of Version 1.3 of its iPhone application to Apple for inclusion in the App Store. The updated version will bring real-time traffic updates and local search functionality offered by Google, as well as other yet-to-be-announced enhancements.
    TomTom's iPhone application was last updated in November to add text-to-speech, lane guidance and several other features as the company has continued to attempt to keep pace in the competitive iPhone GPS market.

Article Link: TomTom for iPhone Set to Gain Real-Time Traffic Updates, Local Search

2. macrumors 603

3. macrumors regular

I'll probably be free like the last one.

I'm not looking forward to that download and transfer to my iPhone... takes FOREVER.

4. macrumors newbie

Nice!

For 3G users, this will mean TomTom is the undisputed best GPS app. Navigon just won't run reliably on the 3G.

5. macrumors newbie

question about features

Does the current version allow saving of Favorites? Can it save an itinerary (multiple way points and destination)?
    Thanks

6. macrumors 6502

Sweet - the lack of google search and traffic were the 2 glaring drawbacks of TomTom. Once those are in place, it should be a pretty solid product! I doubt the traffic add-on will be free, but I hope it is!

7. macrumors newbie

Nice! If they don't try to charge any extra for these new features I may finally have to break down and get this app.:rolleyes:

8. macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Does the volume lower while speaking during background music play, or does it still pause? Very annoying. :mad:

9. macrumors regular

speak for yourself. while i have the occasional hiccups and stickyness, usually running Navigon off of a fresh restart works reliably well for me and my iPhone 3G.

10. macrumors newbie

Don't expect TomTom to offer free traffic since they charge $9.95 a month for live Traffic, fuel prices and local Google search on their other devices. I also question how long users will get free map updates which are available quarterly for $49 a year on their other devices. They have done a poor job communicating the cost of these features on the iPhone. I guess they want to get a larger user base before they pass along other cost.

11. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Doesn't bother me much.

12. macrumors newbie

It has been well documented throughout these and other forums that Navigon is not reliable on the 3G. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a fresh restart for an app to run well, that includes exhibiting occasional hiccups and stickyness. Everyone has a different opinion of what is usable. In my view, Navigon was clearly not designed to run smoothly on the 3G, but rather the 3GS. I'll leave it at that, since this issue has been beaten to death in other threads.

13. macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Great to know it doesn't bother you. You'd would think TomTom could have figured out how to do this for those of us who do care.

14. macrumors 6502

... and they're going to charge another $99.99 for the update

15. macrumors newbie

not sure why it's big news. GMAP costs 35 bucks and is just as good. For 7 dollars a year you get live traffic information. It's got the voice navigation and everything. It's much better then my actual TomTom GPS.

16. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

aren't "updates" required to be free? I've never seen a paid update. Sure I mean they could add in app purchases to add some functionality (like traffic), but as for an actual update, it was my understanding those are always free

17. macrumors 68020

Diode

No - paid updates exist but are rare and are allowed by Apple.

18. macrumors newbie

Mad Mac is exaggerating, but I think what will happen is that the update will allow for these software features to happen, and a paid in-app purchase will actually activate it. The next Navigon update is going to include 3D terrain maps, but you still have to buy it in-app to use the feature. The free update facilitates the upgrade, the in-app purchase let's you use it.

19. macrumors 6502a

You are absolutely right!

20. mvl
    macrumors newbie

According to pocketlink here, Tomtom has told them directly that app 1.3 itself will be free. The traffic service is likely to be an in-app purchase subscription cost, and pricing is not yet announced.

21. mvl
    macrumors newbie

macworld uk reported having tried this app hands-on at CeBIT, and says that it now does "a more sympathetic music fade".

22. macrumors newbie

Artsifrtsy

The pause is great for listening to audio books - my issue is the volume of the voice - how do you turn it down? The default setting is jarring.

23. macrumors newbie

Live Traffic

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Navigon's traffic option a one-time purchase? If so, maybe we'll luck out and TomTom's live traffic won't be a subscription.

24. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

(That's me not correcting you)

25. macrumors 68020

And it doesn't answer the question, which was not what bothers you.

Your right. The poster is probably a Windows user like me and used to doing restarts.:D