TomTom Introduces U.S.-Only GPS iPhone Application for $49.99

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

TomTom today launched TomTom U.S.A. [App Store], a new U.S.-only GPS navigation application for the iPhone carrying an introductory price of $49.99 through December 28th.

The introductory price marks a 50% savings over the current regular price of the original TomTom U.S. & Canada [App Store, $99.99] while retaining coverage of 99.9% of all U.S. states (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Puerto Rico and dropping only coverage of Canada. TomTom does not appear to have released a corresponding Canada-only version at this time, and it is unknown if it has plans to do so in the future.

Also unknown is TomTom U.S.A.'s planned regular price point. TomTom U.S. & Canada has consistently been priced at its regular $99.99 price point since its introduction in August, with the exception of a brief discount to $69.99 around Black Friday.

Article Link: TomTom Introduces U.S.-Only GPS iPhone Application for $49.99
  2. macrumors 68000

Jul 8, 2008
    Wow I might actually buy this, always wanted to get the TomTom App.

But with everyone's praise of navigon and googles free app looming on the horizon I am still not sure.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jun 16, 2008
    Ugh, difficult choice. Navigon's UI is so primitive and bland compared to TomTom's fresh, modern and artistic design. Navigon may have more features, but most of which I don't care about. 99% of the time I'll be looking at the GPS, and quite simply TomTom looks a lot better.

I'll wait it out.
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2008
    tom tom tts question

hey.... does the tomtom tts dim the music when tts is spoken?
  5. macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2003
    Don't forget about the Magellan one.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    Of course they did. Had I known this was coming, I wouldn't have gotten the US/Canadian version.
  7. macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2009
    I made the investment to get TomTom while it was on sale over the Thanksgiving weekend. In some ways I do like it better than Navigon in that you can actually read the road names.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2007
    I got the car kit and the app. Paid full price...ouch!

Loved it, BUT...

-Car kit kept rotating (from horizontal to vertical) when my car hit bumps
    -Dealing with TomTom for the exchange is a nightmare - service is terrible!
    -In my experience, the app doesn't work well without the car kit :(
  9. macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2009
    For me Navigon has worked better than Tom Tom in getting the GPS lock and route selection. Also, live traffic on Navigon is simply awesome and has saved me hours.

I wonder why the latest Navigon update 1.4 hasn't yet been released after being submitted over a week or two ago. Does Apple have a tie up with Tom Tom?? :confused:
  10. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    I can get free Google directions thru the Maps app, so I still no point in buying this app yet. All it really adds is voice to your turn-by-turn, and I don't think that alone is worth $50. It might be worth $30 though.
  11. macrumors 65816

Mar 5, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    They only praise navigon because it's the only one most of them have used. I have used a standalone navigon PND and didn't like it at all. Also they use Navteq maps, which in my area, are 10+ years out of date.

I would wait for the Google app. But if not I think the TomTom will have the best map data out of all of the apps (except Google's).
  12. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2009
    TomTom US only maps - $49.99

Maybe I will pick up the US Map only version for $49.99. Thats not bad, and it lasts until a day after Christmas(when lots of people get those $50 iTunes cards).

Hmmmmmm, tempting...
  13. macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2007
    My guess is that Apple will produce their own nav app that will

1-come as part of the standard apps on the iphone
    2-make all these other apps unnecessary
  14. macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2007
    SOLD! Now that price is more like it!! Now if the car kit would come down to $70 or so I'd buy that too.
  15. macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2008
    For my purposes, MotionX GPS Drive works well and is really cheap.
  16. macrumors 68000

Sep 16, 2008
    Is Canada really the only area dropped compared to the $100 version? I need to make sure it still has Puerto Rico for some work travels.

Also, does it have all of the same functions? TTS, etc? Or is anything stripped out?
  17. macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2005
    Hollywood, FL
    I really don't see the point. The built-in Maps app works fine. I've used it both in-town and when traveling and has worked fine all the time. No need to throw away $50.
  18. macrumors 68000

Sep 17, 2009
    ur clueless thats why, the built-in isnt as good for turn by turn
  19. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2009
    ... hold on to your hats, most likely Navigon will follow and be $10 less

prices are falling like snow!:D:D

if you own Navigon already, this will be the worst $50 you spend to try a lesser product ... don't
  20. macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2008
    Does the GPS still work if you have no WIFI or active subscription with your carrier using TomTom?
  21. macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2009
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    I really like my Navigon but on a recent trip from NC to DC, I found out I do not like it as much as I did before the trip.

If, for any reason, you lose the GPS signal even temporarily, Navigon REFUSES to re-aquire the GPS while running down the Interstate. However, when I pulled over for gas, within 2 seconds, BAM! Back on track.

20 minutes later, it dropped the GPS again and remained "red" for the remaining 100 miles until I hit the exit ramp. Once I made my stop to exit, it grabbed the GPS again. :mad::mad: Apparently, if running at highway speed, it can not lock on until you slow down near a crawl.
  22. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2009
    ... for long trips, the car kit's probably necessary.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2007
    Is there not another holder to use the TomTom App in the car?

I've heard lots of cons about the TomTom moves, it's expensive, etc. Help me out but isn't the idea just to hold the device horizontal and to enable it to plug into the 12volt outlet? Are there not other such holders out there? Help!
  24. macrumors 604

Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit

MotionX works great for me no issues most the times I don't need fancy gps. but these day a dedicated GPS are so cheap. Just buy a real GPS then when it's map is out of date sell it on Craigs and get the latest model and Map.
  25. macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004
    Introductory price of 49.99? That should be the permanent price.