Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
"Late summer" = lost sale to Navigon.

TomTom must be scrambling with their programming, etc. I don't trust them. It's taking way too long.

I'm going to buy Navigon and ignore the drama that is TomTom.

Way to go guys.

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
MORE info... or release?

More info to be posted here?
Or are they actually saying this will be the expected release to App store date?

iCAR

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
california
TOM TOM too late= new garmin tonight
If they take this long, imagine when the app needs an update, screw that!!!

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Fools - it won't be "proven" until after it has been released and tested.

Ummmmm.... what are you talking about? The "proven" apps of which I speak are released and tested. Navagon, Sygic, G-map.... reading comprehension is not your strong point huh. :rolleyes:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Ummmmm.... what are you talking about? The "proven" apps of which I speak are released and tested. Navagon, Sygic, G-map.... reading comprehension is not your strong point huh. :rolleyes:

LOL at self - evidently, in middle age my ability to multitask is shot. Quickly read and misinterpreted that people were thinking that Tom Tom was proven. Ergo, my assinine statement. Sorry if I missed your gist. I was not calling you the fool.
:eek:

londonmystery

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
London, UK

Don't forget Copilot in the Uk with a US release imminent, cheaper than all the above and works brilliantly. :):)

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Voodoo demon compass indeed! I'll continue to get around using my sextant and my masculine sense of perfect direction, thank you very much. Touch screen apparitional voices be damned!

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
If this was an Apple software/hardware product, I could understand the devotees waiting to purchase it 'just because'.

However, I don't remotely see TomTom in the same league as Apple (as much as they might think they are or should be). For those that do, free market works, and I sincerely hope TomTom knocks it out of the ball park for ya.

But, for those who are waiting because they think TomTom is going to be less expensive than the others in the App Store. Just one question....when was TomTom the least expensive manufacturer in this product category upon the launch of a new product (hardware or software)?

$69 right now for the Navigon US version and it just friggin' works like an Energizer bunny.

The TomTom hype machine has completely run out of internally & organically generated fertilizer if you ask me.....:rolleyes:

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
TomTom is not only late to the party but would have to be a lot better than their stand alones that are a big bag of fail when I tested along side of a Garmin nuvi on 2 trips.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Voodoo demon compass indeed! I'll continue to get around using my sextant and my masculine sense of perfect direction, thank you very much. Touch screen apparitional voices be damned!

And when you are lost, you won't even ask for directions :rolleyes:

GPS? why? when u can use google maps!:D espicially if ur iphone has GPS!

Are you serious? Have you not read about these products? On phone map data that don't require a cell signal to load? Turn by turn voice navigation? Google maps is no Navigon.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I have been waiting for this Tom Tom app ever since the 3G launch day, July 11th, 2008. I finally have moved on and subscribed to the AT&T nav. Tom Tom, you had a lot of us, but you blew it by waiting over a year. I am a willing waiting fanboy, but 13 months is my limit.

fr00b

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
UK
I have been waiting for this Tom Tom app ever since the 3G launch day, July 11th, 2008. I finally have moved on and subscribed to the AT&T nav. Tom Tom, you had a lot of us, but you blew it by waiting over a year. I am a willing waiting fanboy, but 13 months is my limit.

Me too. I had been waiting for this app since they announced they had a working GPS unit, but blamed it on Apples SDK. Sure, they had the right to, but Apple got their SDK together. Now it's TomTom to sort themselves out.

But surely, this Sept 22nd date can't possibly be for the iPhone. I can hardly describe TBT on iPhone as the 'future of navigation' :rolleyes:

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

mines is 13 days:D

keifer64

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
can't wait :)

I've been waiting for this day since I got my 3g last September. I absolutely love my TomTom, I have both European and North American maps, I'll buy the new device and app the moment I can :D

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
What if????

This media event is only to announce the TomTom app and cradle pricing and availability (which may not be for some time in the future?).

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
the only way i would think of buying the tom tom app is if it was voice activated. i.e. you just say "directions to 123 fake st" and it does it all.

that would be sweet:D

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I'm sick of waiting as well, sygic or navigon here I come..............

If the price is right I might look at tomtom in 1-2 years time (instead of updating the maps in sygic / navigon) that I will purchase tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.