'TomTom U.S. & Canada' Price Temporarily Cut to $69.99

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

On Friday, we noted that TomTom U.S.A., a new U.S.-only GPS navigation iPhone application had appeared with a promotional price of $49.99 through December 28th. The introduction was notable because it was priced a full 50% lower than the original TomTom U.S. & Canada application while lacking only Canadian navigation information.

Canadian shoppers and cross-border U.S. travelers looking to pick up the TomTom software might want to check again, as TomTom has now cut the price of TomTom U.S. & Canada [App Store] by 30% to $69.99 through December 28th. Both applications are now also sporting holiday-themed App Store icons.

While we still don't know what the full price of TomTom U.S.A. will be once the promotional period is over, the 30% discount on TomTom U.S. & Canada suggests that TomTom U.S.A. may eventually see a regular price in the neighborhood of $64.99.

Article Link: 'TomTom U.S. & Canada' Price Temporarily Cut to $69.99
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2007
    Tom Tom sure got a lot of free advertising from this site.
  3. macrumors 68020

Apr 15, 2004
    Washington DC
  4. macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2007
    Many, many application developers get a lot of free advertising from this and other similar news sites or blogs. That's how it works.
  5. macrumors 65816

Feb 11, 2008
  6. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005

My first thought as soon as I noticed the sidebar headline: Tom-Tom sure gets a lot of attention from this site, a lot more than other products. What's the deal?
  7. macrumors 68040

Oct 23, 2006
    I am glad illegal downloads of this application exist, if they can do things like this. It's disgusting. :mad:
  8. macrumors 6502

May 24, 2002
    Lexington, KY
    Seriously. $120 for a plastic bracket with a couple connectors and a GPS receiver is a complete ripoff. I'd pay maybe $50 max.
  9. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2009
    TomTom is beating Navigon at the discounted pricing game in December, like Navigon pulled on TomTom in November ... and trying to make a dent in Navigon's head start in the iPhone market ... oh yeah, and gabbing holiday customers so that in January they can launch TomTom Live Services (www.tomtom.com/services/) for $9.99/mo for traffic, google search, etc ... that'll be fun.
  10. macrumors newbie

May 9, 2007
    No discount for the UK! Less roads, the app is almost 1gb smaller, rip off prices. Bah Humbug.

They should be renamed ScroogeScrooge for the festive period!
  11. macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Seriously, go find a bluetooth speakerphone with GPS and iphone bracket for $50. You won't even find a decent bluetooth speakerphone for $50. Why do people seem to forget this part of the device? Pretty amazing really. But why they thought that focusing on the high end market I don't know. I do think they should include the software, or at least a US only version or a downscaled version that you can upgrade for a smaller price.
  12. macrumors 65816

Dec 18, 2008
    Christiansburg, VA

Simply because that $9.99 covers transmitting the data through cell/radio waves. TomTom has to pay for it, so they pass it on to the customer. Will they still charge, it's possible - most likely, however I don't see them charing $9.99 per month for it.
  13. macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2009
    Is there any way to upgrade from the $49.99 (USA) version to the $69.99 (USA+Canada) version?
  14. macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2009
    I think it's pretty much stupid to pay any amount over $10 for an app that is going to become obsolete once google releases their nav program on the iphone.

None of these nav apps take full advantage of the internet connectivity nor have the POI resources that google has with their system. The big question is how much is google nav going to cost once it hits the app store? Traditionally, google's apps are free... It's free on android we've never really seen anything google-wise that requires a monthly fee so chances are Navigon, Tomtom, and all these other gps apps are going to be left in the dust with people regretting they paid the high price tags once Google nav hits the iphone.

Also with Apple buying a mapping company? You know they have something in the works to replace native google maps on the iphone and I'm sure it will have nav too... *shrug*
  15. macrumors 6502a

!¡ V ¡!

Jun 21, 2007
    At 50% off it should bring the cost to about $60 and then couple that with the Navigon app and you are set.

I used to have many GPS standalone devices and I found out for my needs all I need is a map and caching it works for me. Having the TT GPS HW and Navigon app is only a bonus to lighten my wallet. ;)
  16. macrumors 6502a

!¡ V ¡!

Jun 21, 2007
    :apple: buying a mapping company = GPS chip in future iPT. :D

Seriously these Nav companies know they days are numbered that is why they are selling they products at discounts. I noticed this when Google demoed its Nav app. I give it 6-12 months before these Nav companies call it quits. :)
  17. macrumors 65816

Sep 9, 2008
    But doesn't the Google nav require internet connectivity to show the map? I would much prefer a Navigon or TomTom where the maps are already in the phone so it doesn't need the crappy At&T data connectivity. But I'm sure this preference is a minority and many will enjoy the free GPS from Google.
  18. macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2008
    Oh yes it's so terrible that a company should be able to adjust their prices according to market demand. Oh the humanity!

Next time I'm sure they'll phone you for permission first.
  19. macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2008

Haha, yeah they should sell it at a price rated to the length of the roads it maps..lol.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2008

so many price complainers don't consider things like that.
  21. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2009
    maybe, but i'm not willing to roll the dice ...

if there isn't an 'in app' purchase option, then no ... poor marketing and customer service to keep flip-flopping the pricing and app options on customers ...

Google has a long way to go to match what TT, M, G, and N functionality ... it just doesn't happen w/ a snap of a finger and a beta launch. i've been keeping an eye on the Google Map Nav forums ... 2 years minimum ... unless they aquire

Navigon offers Google Local Search (v1.4) ... free

Maybe, maybe not ...

Same w/ Apple, unless they acquire a nav company, it'll take years to compete ...
  22. macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2008
    Its great to see lots of competition between navigation apps, however I think TomTom has already lost the competition to Navigon. The latest Navigon 1.4 release is on par with the most advanced TomTom stand alone navigators and easily beats TomTom's iPhone app. Anyway, as others, I also do wonder why TomTom is getting so much press with this site. I would understand it if TomTom did something ground breaking but lets face it, TomTom is just another navigation software and I believe its safe to say its the one thats just playing catch up with the leading apps.
  23. macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2008
    The TomTom app has three things going for it.

1. The IQRoutes technology is unmatched on the iPhone.
    2. The ability to selectively avoid certain roads in the route.
    3. Speed. -- Navigon is like molasses on an iPhone 3G whereas TomTom runs fine.

However, I agree that TomTom has been asleep at the wheel. The ironic thing is that for years TomTom Navigators have had advanced internet based functions available to even the cheapest models. If I connected my TomTomOne (years and years ago) via bluetooth to my phone, I got Traffic reports, Buddy locations and a host of other apps. Why then do they seem incapable of delivering this same technology to iPhone users? I mean clearly they already have the servers up and running.
  24. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2009
    i'm waiting for MacRumors to begin a News thread for Navigon v1.4 ... very newsworthy, and at $59.99 beats the socks off TomTom ... extra newsworthy. We'll see ...

i wonder if it has anything to do w/ the Apple / TomTom relationship bias ...

Apple should just acquire Navigon and be done w/ all this :D:D
  25. macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2008
    I'm long time TomTom user and I have done parallel testing with my TT 930, TT iPhone and Navigon iPhone apps.

1. IQ Routes sound great and advanced but in reality I haven't seen any significant advantage. The routing advantages / disadvantages are more down to map data then anything else.
    2. Navigon has option to avoid selected roads.
    3. I've used Navigon with my iPhone 3G and 3G S. Both of them have worked without any problems. However, start up times on 3G were long although according to Navigon the 1.4 start up is snappier.

Regarding the TomTom iPhone apps lack of advanced features is most likely due to their product positioning strategy. TomTom iPhone app isn't designed to be state of the art navigation software. Its entry level product which doesn't compete with their own stand alone products. It seems Navigon has chosen different policy in which it is bringing more high end features to iPhone then TomTom. However, Navigon has much more advanced stand alone navigators then TomTom so Navigon can give us relatively advanced features without "sacrificing" stuff like their Real City 3D or other high end features of their 8410 / 8450 lineup. Unfortunately Navigon stand alone navigators are not available in US.... or it might be the reason why they are adding the advanced features on to their iPhone app... who knows...