Tony Dungy's son found dead

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xsedrinam, Dec 22, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
  2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
  3. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    Working here in the ESPN mobile news room and weve been running around all morning to cover it. Very sad for anyone to lose a child.
  4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    yea that sucks. such a sad thing to hear.

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Tragic especially right before Christmas. So so young, did he suffer from any sort of medical condition like asthma or something?
  6. wiggy4ever macrumors member

Oct 16, 2005
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It really is very sad especially at this time of year.

You have to wonder what is going through Dungy's head at the moment. NFL coaches work so hard and such long hours during the season that you have to wonder how much he is blaming himself. There was an interview with him just the other week where he was talking about the responsibilities of parenthood and having sons.

I hope his son's girlfriend isn't forgotten in the media condolences. Finding your boyfriend's body must be horrific.
  8. Blurb macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    I just heard on the evening news that suicide is the likely cause. So so sad. My heart breaks for Tony Dungy and rest of his family. It is horrific enough to lose a child, but to have it happen at Christmas and from a suicide just compounds the hurt so much more.

I don't think you ever get over the death of a child. My 16 yr old nephew was killed in a bizarre auto accident a few years ago, and his death is still the biggest elephant in the room. My oldest son is only a couple of months younger than he, and they were so close, it was almost like losing my own child. As a parent, every little thing you do can still remind you of their not being here. Even going to the grocery store and seeing the special items you once bought for that child that you no longer bring home.

I don't see how Dungy or even his Colts can stay focused through the playoffs. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make it to several of the games. but we'll see. He might immerse himself in his work to try to fight the pain he feels. That only works for a very short time.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. :(
  9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I read about this earlier and was just floored. My heart goes out to the Dungy's and everyone who knew his son.

Obviously it will be hard for Dungy to focus, but I think the players will rally around him and we could see some very inspired and emotional play from the Colts.