Tony Hawk 4 is installing...

Discussion in 'Games' started by mangoman, Aug 23, 2003.

1. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

...as I type. I'll post specs and some quick thoughts if anyone's interested. Oh, and if anybody wants first grab at my THPS2 and THPS3 CD's, lemme know. I'll sell 'em CHEAP!

Cheers,

Uncle Mangoman

2. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Update...

Installed it without any problems. Comes on two CD's. One for install and one to Play. Made an image of the CD but it wouldn't recognize it -- forced me to use the actual CD.

System specs: Quicksilver G4, 1.33GHz (OWC card upgrade), 1.5GB RAM, GeForce Ti 128 video card.

Killer game. What Tony Hawk Pro Skater has wanted to be since it hit the Mac. Tons of details, great maps, very fun! I jumped into cheat mode pretty early on. Worth it.

Playability: It's a proc' hog, big time. Glad I juiced up my hardware recently. FPS goes down the toilet if I max out the settings, including Distance Fog, etc. But I'm playing it on their "High" resolution without any problems.

If you've never bought a THPS game and you've got my specs or *gulp* one of those monster G5's, get THPS 4. Otherwise, if you've never bought THPS and you don't have the horsepower, THPS 2 is a cheap fix.

OK. Back to the game... :)

3. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

THPS4 rocks!

I've got the PS2 version of THPS4 and it rocks. I like the openness of the game now.

But I've gotta ask; are you using the keyboard or some USB controller? I tried using the keyboard for THPS3 at the Apple store and it was hard as s***!

Maybe I'm just used to the PS2 controller...

4. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Good question, DD. Forgot to mention the same thing: THPS 3 was a pain on the keyboard. And it prompted me to buy a Logitech Wingman Rumblepad, which was inexpensive, works great, and both the pad and THPS 3 and 4 support the actual rumble effect. Kinda goofy, but my nephew loves it.

By the way, I get a kick outta the way THPS 4 shows the ongoing damage to my shins and elbows (and my bare feet, for that matter). Speaking of the bare feet, I'm also diggin' the incredible amount of options in the new Custom Skater part.

Very cool. Very funny, too.

5. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I figured most people who buy THPS4 (or 3) would need a controller of some kind.

As for the ongoing damage, i also like the way you leave blood marks on the ground if you eat it. There's alot of subtleties that you'll find that make the game so much better than the 3rd one.

p.s. - I PMed you.

6. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Hmmmm Wingman eh? I've been looking for an OSX controller ever since I found out my Belkin wasn't compatible. After i get Panther and if my controller still isn't compatible, I might have to get a new one.

7. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

any tips for how to get the thing running at a decent FPS. I'm quite annoyed as I have an ATI Radeon 9000 on a Dual ghz MDD with 1.25 gig of RAM but the damn thing is almost unplayable at even 800x600 on certain levels.

ALso I have a logitech wingman, the one with 1 analogue stick, but the bloody thing doesn't work with this game. It si recognised but calibrate don't work and neither does it do anything in the game. Anyone having similar problems?

8. TheInevitable macrumors member

I recently bought the Macally iShock2 to use with THPS4. I am using USB Overdrive with it. Does anyone know if you can download presets for THPS4 for USB Overdrive or Macally's own driver?

In fact, I think I'm going to start a thread about USB Overdrive presets.

9. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Incidentally, in case anyone cares, the THPS 4 demo is completely unplayable on my machine, no matter what settings. Then again, I'm running a 700mhz emac with 512MB, so I wasn't expecting every new game to be able to chug along.

It's a shame, too, since I'm a big fan of the series, but too poor to upgrade to a better machine for at least a year or two.

10. TheInevitable macrumors member

It must be a problem with the demo, because I'm playing the complimentary eMac version on my 1GHz 512 MB eMac. And it moves fluid enough. Don't dispair, the full version should work.

11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yeah, it still kind of confuses me why Apple would package a game that runs so-so with their computer...

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats odd It runs really well on my sisters ibook g4 800 with no optimization is your system overall slow or what?

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, for one, the fog doesn't really work too well...It still leaves white sploches in the distance. I'll take screenshot later to explain this.

And the game runs okay when in closed areas, it only chops up really when you get in a spot when it looks across a large area.