Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4: "Failed trying to save" ?? :(

Discussion in 'Games' started by the Falcon, Oct 5, 2005.

1. the Falcon macrumors member

Since today, every time I try to save my game in THPS4, it says "Failed trying to save" and it won't save my game, regardless of whether I'm trying to create a new save or overwrite an old one. I tried deleting save games to make more space, but this doesn't help. I really don't know how to fix this! Please help. :confused:

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Sorry is this for PS2 or PSP or Xbox?

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Could be a permissions error. repair disk permissions?

4. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

For Mac. (I thought that would be obvious?)

5. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

As you suggested, I just used Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permission, but I still can't save my THPS4 game. So, that didn't help. :(
    Any other suggestions?

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Open Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities and select your hard drive on the left, then click Repair Disk Permissions.

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

He obviously didn't know THPS4 was out for Mac ;)

8. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

So, I repaired all the disk permissions, but I still can't save my game. :(

Does anyone else have any other ideas on how I could fix this?

9. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

no i didnt know this was for mac since this isnt the MAC GAMES ONLY forum, but any way, try to save your save game files to another folder and reinstall. thats my advice now that am in the know. ;)

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Well it is in the Mac Software > Games category.. :rolleyes:

11. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Reinstalling will probably fix your problem, also how much space is left on your HD?

12. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

Almost 15 GB, so that's definitely not the problem, since THPS4 save games take up only 40 KB each. :p

13. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

OK, so I reinstalled the game. Didn't fix the problem.
    Deleted the game's preference file. Didn't work either.
    Then I thought of trying to load an older save game and then trying to save it—and that worked. So apparently, there's something terribly wrong with my latest save game, which sucks because with my latest (unsavable) save game I am at 91%, while with this older save game (that I am able to save with) I was at 81% completion. I guess I'll just have to do that 10% all over again. Oh well...
    Thanks everybody for the advice. It got my own brain back to thinking clearly again. I should have "Don't Panic" written in large, friendly letters on the cover of my iBook. ;)

Now where did I leave my towel...?

14. the Falcon thread starter macrumors member

The problem is back! :(

Now I've got the same problem again! :eek: This time not even at 91%, but at 86%. I realized it starts right after I either I complete a goal or find a new one. I can reproduce it as follows: I load my 86% save game, which I saved just after completing a goal in the Chicago level that unlocks a new goal, but before I found the new goal. After loading, I try to save again, but to a different file. That works. I skate around grab some cash icons, do some gaps I haven't done yet, and try to save again. Works, too. Now I either complete a goal I have already found, in any level, or I try the new goal, with or without completing it. Now when I try to save it, I get the "Failed trying to save" message again! :( This doesn't make any sense to me at all. :confused: Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? This is very frustrating indeed. :(

15. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Its out for PSP? Awesome!