Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2005
Link.

As a huge fan of Mr. Tony, this makes me awfully happy. May he be everything Dennis Miller seemed like he should have been.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I wish him well, but part of me wants his empire to come crashing down. I just want things to be the way they used to be. I grew up reading his 3x week sports and sunday style column in The Post, and then saw the style disappear when he started at wtem-am (when it was on 570). Then when he got picked up by ESPN radio, the sports dropped to twice. PTI then turned him into a one and eventually sometimes one.

I miss him. Tony...come home to the Post....

Does anyboy here remember Lez Boulez or LaSooz or The Squire and Coco?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Anyone else think he is going to be great or terrible, but not in between? I think he's going to give very insightful yet humors comments or act like a pompous ass. I really don't know which. I can't seem him being average though.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yup... I'm looking forward to seeing how he does since I like PTI and his column but I'm not sure how his humour will translate. At the moment, much of it seems fairly scripted and prepared and I'm not sure how that will work on a live broadcast.

I was thinking about this last night wondering whether 'Face Time' or the 'Swami' will make it to the booth! :p

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Applespider said:
I was thinking about this last night wondering whether 'Face Time' or the 'Swami' will make it to the booth! :p

Oh, please no!! As much as I like his characters on PTI, I hope they do not show up on MNF.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
grapes911 said:
Anyone else think he is going to be great or terrible, but not in between? I think he's going to give very insightful yet humors comments or act like a pompous ass. I really don't know which. I can't seem him being average though.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping he can be the former because I just can't handle another Dennis Miller. The one reason I see him being better is at least he has a decent background on ESPN the past few years so it may not be a big transition for him.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I read Tony in the Post for 20 years; initially I enjoyed his espn show quite a bit; then one day I heard him on a show with the late Dick Schapp and Schapp asked him about the music on his show (it was a mash-up that had a part that said "to-ny; to-ny;" very cleverly and well done.) Anyway Schapp asked him if that was original music and Tony said "I have no idea" and then went on recycling / cracking jokes.

That really rubbed me the wrong way-- some producer busted his butt to do a good job and Tony couldn't be bothered to notice how his show was put together.

Then I would hear him on Imus before his show. He would use the same lines on Imus that he used on his radio show, then I'd read the paper and the same lines were in that day's column. He was triple-dipping his own material on the same day! He couldn't be bothered to come up with new material.

Then they made the TV show about him..... and I haven't even gotten to PTI, which I still enjoy despite the fact that it is a triumph of form over substance....

So I'm done with Tony; like he always said until Monday, Monday Night Football is on too late and I'm going to bed.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I'm glad to hear that Tony won't be leaving PTI. That show just isn't the same when Tony and Wilbon aren't together. Those knuckleheads! :p

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
In a related story, as payment for Al Michaels going to NBC to do Sunday Night Football, NBC/Universal had to give ESPN/Disney the following items:

Increased rights to the Olympics
Increased rights to Notre Dame Football games
Increased rights to the Ryder Cup
and....
The rights to Walt Disney's original cartoon Oswald The Lucky Rabbit :confused:

It's so odd b/c we talked about Disney creating and then losing the rights to him no more than 2 weeks ago in my Animation Film Seminar class.

"Oswald is definitely worth more than a fourth-round draft choice," Michaels said, referring to what the Kansas City Chiefs gave the New York Jets as compensation for releasing coach Herm Edwards from his contract. "I'm going to be a trivia answer someday."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
I dont care who else they put in the booth. I wont be watching as long as that jackass Joe Theisman is one of the commentators. He and the rest of that ESPN Sunday night crew are the most inept announcers I've ever heard. The ridiculous comments that come out of those pie holes (and Theisman's in particular) are too numerous to list. I'll be watching on "mute" with the radio tuned in. They do use different announcers for the radio broadcast, right?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Mr. Durden said:
I dont care who else they put in the booth. I wont be watching as long as that jackass Joe Theisman is one of the commentators. He and the rest of that ESPN Sunday night crew are the most inept announcers I've ever heard. The ridiculous comments that come out of those pie holes (and Theisman's in particular) are too numerous to list. I'll be watching on "mute" with the radio tuned in. They do use different announcers for the radio broadcast, right?
The problem is that MNF will suck now because they wont get the good games anymore, ESPN really choked on the new deal and will pay for it in the ratings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.