Tony Perkins Won't Take It Back; Uganda Is Still Exemplary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 29, 2012.

1. leekohler, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors G5

leekohler

At this point, why are these people not being brought up on serious charges?

I'm at my wit's end.

http://www.advocate.com/news/world-...s-will-not-back-down-claim-uganda-example-god

[MOD NOTE: Site related discussion moved to S&FF]

2. macrumors 601

Don't panic

lee, although i agree with your sentiment and find perkins' position on the uganda anti-gay laws despicable, i don't see what kind of charges can be brought legally.

also, I am completely baffled by the spinoff on the S&FF board.
    am i missing something?

3. macrumors 6502

Here we go again. Twitter really isn't made for politicians... or anyone not wanting to be pulled into an argument. There was absolutely no reason for him to compliment the president of Uganda - I just don't see the connection - especially during a time where homosexuals over there are being targeted in such a brutal way.

He can spin it around any way he wants, deep down we all know he's only tweeted that out of spite. Now he has to sow what he reaped.

4. leekohler, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I feel that any American who supports this kind of BS should be charged with something. This is hideous. If this were WW2 and Uganda said this kind of thing about Jews, there would be serious consequences.

But because it's us, nothing. At what point do we hold people accountable?

5. macrumors 68020

I disagree, I don't think charges would've been brought up on someone. I think there would be public scrutiny of such things. And I had to look up Tony Perkins, I wasn't aware of his name but I am aware of his hate group. I don't think anything can be done about such things.

6. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    A reminder that homophobia is still socially acceptable because of religion. It's the last remaining populist network for bigotry.

7. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ya this is pretty disgusting.

I have no clue how people can feel this way and think they're doing "God's work" when in reality they're acting like some of the worst people in the Bible.

I really think most churches don't read their Bible's and only cherry pick and encourage group think to support personal bigotry.

I know my Bible, God, and Jesus do not tell me to hate or discriminate against anyone...not sure why these other people think theirs do.

8. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

But there is no public scrutiny of Perkins, is there? This article is barely on the radar.

9. macrumors 6502

MadeTheSwitch

I truly think Tony Perkins is a closet case. Doth protest too much, methinks.

10. macrumors 603

Quoting this because it needs to be said more. Too many times to these ***** get a pass because it's their "religion". What a crock of ****. Enough.

It's not okay to hate somebody by the color of their skin. It's not okay to hate somebody based on their gender. It's not okay to hate someone based on their religion. And it's not okay to hate someone based on their sexuality.

So how is it okay to use religion as an excuse to hate someone based on their sexuality?? That's ludicrous.

God doesn't exist and the bible is a book of fairy tales written by people back in the day as a means to control others. Anyone who buys into this and uses it as a disguise for bigotry and blind hatred is (1) a sucker and (2) the lowest form of excrement on this planet.

11. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Confused. You once defended that church who protests army funerals on the grounds of free speech but now you want this dude held accountable somehow over a tweet. Why?

12. AhmedFaisal, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013

<snip>

13. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly, as far as I know, Westboro hasn't killed anyone or given vast amounts of money to countries like Uganda. Words are one thing, actions are quite another.

14. rrl
    macrumors 6502

[off topic]

Jesus = The man mentioned and quoted in the New Testament

My opinions:

• Jesus never existed; he is a fictional character.
    • Jesus was a closet homosexual.
    • The New Testament writers were closet homosexuals.
    • For the above opinions, but not only for the above opinions, Christianity has been, and always will be, the Webster definition of hypocrisy.
    Peace out!

[/off topic]

15. macrumors G5

yg17

My opinion as an Atheist is that Jesus existed (although his mother was no virgin. My theory is she got drunk one night and didn't remember who the father was, and since Maury Povich wasn't around back then, she said she was a virgin and people believed it) and would be completely disgusted by what people are doing in his name today.

16. macrumors 68000

NickZac

What about musicians who advocate doing horrible things in their music? I agree what this guy is doing is terrible but in terms of charging a crime, I have to disagree. We've not charged people like Eminem for music, so on what basis can we charge him?

He is absolutely disgusting but he does have the right to free speech. It appalls me that someone would say what he does, but I'm not sure how much of a legal reaction would be beneficial to anyone...it could potentially inflame the situation.

Now as far as action/material support, hell yeah they should charge him.