Too Damn Hot!

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Bender, Jun 9, 2002.

1. macrumors member

I'm burning up here in my lab. After a nice cool spring, summer has come all at once, and the last couple of days has been 38 C. We only get a few weeks over 35 each summer. Usually it's cooler up here in Jerusalem than the rest of the country, where there's also high humidity, but there's an atmospheric phenomenon that occurrs occasionally to reverse this. The hottest I've known was 44. Man, Imay go home. It's 33 in the lab (fantastic air conditioning), and some of the solvents are starting to boil in their bottles. Last night when I went out at 11 it was 28. I'm not built for this - I'm a poor pallid Brit. Back in the Old Country I uesd to pass out if it went over 25. I have a clifornian friend, however, who seems to think this is Spring!

Can anyone beat 38 today? If so, I bet your A/C is better than mine.

:cool:

2. macrumors G3

38 C... 38 C ...... hope you ain't got a TiBook..... nasty....... :p

I'm in Coventry at the moment, visitng my family....... and it's about 11 C maybe 12 C ....... basically it's cold......... rainy and miserable....... :(

Englands weather sucks......... :rolleyes: :( :p

3. macrumors 68030

britboy

Mmmmmm..... sound lovely :)

I grew up in the middle east, loving the heat. Spending the weekend out in the Empty Quarter.... nice...

At least you're probably getting a great tan :p

4. thread starter macrumors member

No way I'm going close enough to the outside to get a tan. Work-taxi-home is my plan for the day. Gonna have to postpone that trip to the library.

Just had a nice time in the walk-in chemicals freezer. Pretty envigorating, but worryingly smelly in there. If I get addicted to that place, I'll probably end up growing a couple of extra heads or something.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me why I moved out here, iGAV. I was in Birmingham 1990-1997. btw, have you been to Bham recently? Have they finally replaced the Bull Ring with something that doesn't frighten off casual passers by?

5. macrumors G3

I've not been to Birmingham since the late 90's........

I used to live in Coventry (was at the Uiversity from 1996 to 99) left as soon as I could....... (actually I was born in Coventry too...... the shame of it :eek: but only live there till I was 3... so luckily I never picked up the accent!! :p )

As for the Bull Ring.... as far as I know it was bulldozed last year..... or atleast demolition began last year........ God only knows what they're building instead....... although it can't be as bad as what Coventry Council has done to Coventry......... :eek: :rolleyes: :( truely shocking!!!

I should have added this to the useless trivia section...... but did you know that Coventry has the worlds largest weather predicting station....... :D :p

6. thread starter macrumors member

Yah yah! and Birmingham has more miles of canal than Venice.

14:30 and the temperature's still rising. 35 in the lab now: the boiling point of ether. Yeah baby, open another bottle! It's time to paaaaaaarty!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

7. macrumors 68040

mac15

it was a nice 18C today
    aaaaaggggghhhhh....ow yeah:D

8. thread starter macrumors member

Yowzer, time for a hot toddy. I don't think you southern hemisphersh people count though, You should really be having a cold conversation, in which 18 would be a pretty poor performance:D .
    Hey, I have cousins on my wife's side in Sydney. Do you know them?:rolleyes:

Ooh, time to play with some chloroform. Call an ambulance if I'm not back in 10 minutes!:eek:

9. macrumors 6502

Zenith

So it's hot in Jerusalem too?

The weather here in Norway is rarely as hot as it is nowadays. The temperature climbs up to about 30 C in the evening, and it's still early June! It's always warmer in July. I do remember that there was a record set in 1994 when it got to 34,3 C, and I think it's time for a new record now, based on the temperatures we've had the last week.

Man, 30 C in Norway feels so different from the 30 C you get in southern Europe. I think it's because of the dry air we have "up here". I really enjoy the weather, but my comp seems to struggle in this warm...

10. thread starter macrumors member

Whoa, that I would never have figured. I reckon you must all be using too much hairspray or something. The hottest I remember experiencing in the UK was something like 32, although it gets hotter in London.

I have to say you're right that your surroundings make a difference. 30 in Jerusalem feels nice, but in the UK it lays me out. Conversely, 15 in Jerusalem feels like frostbite time, but in the UK is still all right. By that reasoning, 34 in Norway must equate to about 50 over here! Phew.

11. macrumors 68040

mac15

what are ther last names ......the benders :)

12. thread starter macrumors member

So you DO know them? Cool, send my regards.:p

Damn! Been sitting on this plastic chair too long in this heat... stuck to it... can't get up... Ggggggg! Lucky it's got wheels - gonna have to wheel myself home and soak it off.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. macrumors 68000

Falleron

I am cov uni now! Just finishing off my final year!!! The bull ring has been demosihed and they are building a huge new shopping complex -- about 200 new shops I think!! Birmingham is great now!! There is so much going on!!

14. thread starter macrumors member

I knew I would someday live to hear those words.

Where's Coventry Uni? Didn't know there was such a place unless you mean Warwick? Do you mean Warwick, and if so... Do they still have the revolving cone?

Seem to be a lot of brits around... Maybe because the yanks haven't woken up yet. In fact I've only just realized that I'm the only one at work today (Israeli week is Sun-Thur), thus explaining the lack of bustle on the old interweb.

15. macrumors 68000

Falleron

Coventry Uni is in the center of the city. Warwick is about 3 miles out or so. we dont mix, leads to problems! :) Not sure about the revolving cone? In the center? If so, no.

16. thread starter macrumors member

Funny, I've never heard of it, but on the other hand I never hung out in Cov. The closest I ever got was sharing a house with a Rude Boy back in 1991. By the end of the year I had him listening to 60s psychedelia and I was into The Selecter and The Specials!

Ooh, them were the days.

17. macrumors 68000

Falleron

Would have thought it would be quite hard to miss! The main regestration building is opposite the cathedral + has a big sign saying cov uni :p

18. thread starter macrumors member

Well that explains it then: I'm Jewish and I can't read! :p :D

19. macrumors 6502a

Ahh it's 19˚ C over here :•)

With a nice breeze =)

20. thread starter macrumors member

There's a breeze here too. Unfortunately the air is hotter than body temperature though, so it feels like the blast from a jet engine.

On the bright side, it's time to walk down the street to do some work in a different lab. That lab has proper air conditioning. And Macs (instead of this ******* Compaq). And an Argentinian to gloat at about Friday's footie result.

21. macrumors G3

Heh heh heh..... I can't believe that I'm on a mac site, having conversations about Coventry Uni............. totally mad........

Cov Uni used to be the Polytechnic..... up until 1991 ish... or sometime around there.......... but the Uni is famous for its Transport Design Course.... infact the whole of the Uni lives of the success of this course...... :p

So falleron what course you doing at Coventry????

22. macrumors 68030

britboy

That explains why you're in israel (the being jewish part, not the illiteracy :D)

23. macrumors demi-god

szark

We're supposed to get up to that today -- 38 C / 100 F

I've experienced 46 C / 115 F myself, and I know it has gotten up to 49 C / 120 F here in previous years... :eek:

But it stays around 27 C / 80 F in the house -- my A/C works great!!! :cool:

24. macrumors G3

49 C....... phew........ I'd have some of that....... I can't even imagine that kind of heat....... the hottest I've experienced is around 34 C and that was great..... but 49 that's wild....... does everyone just stay in doors in that kind of heat......???

25. thread starter macrumors member

Just got home to my beloved A/C myself. Praise the Lord! :D Unfortunately a problem to keep a chemistry lab cool in this weather as safety dictates changing all the air every 2 minutes. Still, it can be done, just expensive.

I've been in the high 40s down by the dead sea, but only between the bus and the pool. Can't imagine living in that heat, although I guess you just stay out of it. Problem is when the A/C packs up. When the weather gets hot here, there's suddenly a massive increase in the popularity of indoor malls, particularly among people who can't afford A/C (in Jerusalem it's a luxury, unlike other parts of the country).

I reckon you're gonna be ahead of me soon. Apparently it'll be a cool 36 tomorrow!
    :)