Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dostoevsky, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Dostoevsky macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    Hey guys, I'm a student in the market for a Macbook for college. Cruising around the internet I found a store with rediculous prices. Do yah guys think this is a big scam, or should I go for it? Indonesian internet store ... Hmmm.

I sort of need to get this thing before school starts, so any help would be much appreciated.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    If you have to ask, it's almost certainly a scam. An Indonesian site registered a month ago to a guy with a Gmail account selling stuff at 30-50% off? Run away. Now.
  3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    As a general rule of thumb, if it looks too good to be true then it very usually is.
  4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    does a bear cr*p in the woods?

wildcowboy points out some really important info.

heavily discounted apple stuff is the #1 warning sign. new website offshore #2.

dont wait for strike #3. run away.
  5. Dostoevsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    Yeah, I'd pretty much figured it out before I posted this. Didn't hurt to ask, though. Thanks a lot guys. I think that I'll just stick to the Apple Store down south.
  6. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Beware also of a site called bestbuynow or something like that. In Italy and Texas.
  7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
  8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    No, if it's too good to be true it always is.

I suppose you could make exceptions for times when you knew the seller and there was a very obvious legitimate reason (as in "not stolen, and not trying to rip a friend off"), but those are so rare they're not even worth mentioning.

Just remember: The phrase is "too good to be true" for a reason.