too many duplicate tracks!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by whyrichard, Sep 30, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    hi guys,

i have way too many duplicate tracks in my itunes library. of 8500 tracks there are about 900 duplicates.... need to get rid of 450 of them! and i refuse to do so manually!

.... how best to remove a bunch of duplicate tracks, reliably, easily, quickly, without manually clicking 450 tracks? on a windows pc?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    On a PC? I am not too sure, but in iTunes under the View Menu there is "Show Duplicates". Now this means it shows duplicate song titles and not *actual* duplicates (in case you have a song from a live album and a real album). So you will still have to keep an eye on what you delete.
  3. f41dh1 macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2006
    I used to be a PC user and now I am Mac user..
    the iTunes functions are the same for both PC & Mac..
    click View -> Show Duplicates...
    but you have to be careful, because the iTunes only shows the tracks that have the same title/artist...
    you still need to check whether the tracks are from the same album or not..
  4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    yeah, i know of the function in itunes that shows duplicates... and i realize you gotta be careful about what you delete....

... but my miff is that when you organize by song, and you have two of each song.... i wish you could easily choose EVERY OTHER ONE instead of having to click... skip... click... skip....

---do i miss something?