Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are there too many polls om MR?

• Yes

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Definitely

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Absolutely. Only certain people should have the ability to make polls... they're being used now for topics of discussion that don't warrant it at all.

Saying that, they harm no-one. It's just that they rapidly become an irritant if used to excess.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I love polls. Getting my voice heard. I vote in every poll I see, even if it is very stupid.:D

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
yankeefan24 said:
I love polls. Getting my voice heard. I vote in every poll I see, even if it is very stupid.:D
I agree.
Vote! Vote! Vote!
Vote for this! Vote for that! Vote for that! Vote for what?!

This is a kinda bias poll....
Yes and defiantly?
What is the purpose of this poll?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Blue Velvet said:
Absolutely. Only certain people should have the ability to make polls... they're being used now for topics of discussion that don't warrant it at all.

Agreed. They should be reserved for demis, mods and/or people of a certain post status, sort of like we do for the Marketplace and the Politicals.

This happened before and the poll option was removed for several months. I think the current onslaught may be because the news threads have started including them.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they don't hurt anyone, but i'll agree that one should have a certain post count in order to gain the ability to create one.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
PlaceofDis said:
they don't hurt anyone, but i'll agree that one should have a certain post count in order to gain the ability to create one.

Interesting idea PlaceofDis. This suggestion of yours could have some merit to it. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
dmw007 said:
Interesting idea PlaceofDis. This suggestion of yours could have some merit to it. :)

i'm not the only one who thought of it, vniow and BV both mentioned something similar.

i'd say maybe a 100 min if not more. this way someone gets to know the forum and such before getting this ability to create polls and hopefully the number of pointless and unnecessary polls would be cut down as a result.

i don't know, however, if this is possible with VBulliten, although i'm sure there is some way to achieve it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
PlaceofDis said:
i'm not the only one who thought of it, vniow and BV both mentioned something similar.

Oops, you are right- I did not mean to steal away the credit that they both deserve. :eek:

PlaceofDis said:
i'd say maybe a 100 min if not more. this way someone gets to know the forum and such before getting this ability to create polls and hopefully the number of pointless and unnecessary polls would be cut down as a result.

i don't know, however, if this is possible with VBulliten, although i'm sure there is some way to achieve it.

That seems reasonable. :)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I think there are threads that need a poll and don't have one. If you are asking people a question where there is a few choices I think having a poll is easier and can cut down spam.

If I see a poll where my opinion is one of the options, I can vote without commenting and move on. Everyone wins :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
PlaceofDis said:
Want to make a bet? :p

Seems to me, it was a select few regulars that helped kill the Polls with Poll Wars last time.

Look back in the archive and there should be a page or two of polls around the time polls were killed.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Just thought this needed a burrito, I mean, a bump. :rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe there should be a separate part of the Community section, devoted to polls. That way we could easily remove them from our New Posts link, if we wanted. Of course, there are many other forums with polls, but it might cut the numbers back for people who don't want to see them so often. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.