Too Many Questions!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by monke, Jul 6, 2005.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I am currently running on a pc and want to become a switcher. The only problem is that I do not know which computer to get and how to upgrade them. What will I be using the computer for? Most everyday stuff, burning home made movies to DVD's, making a few songs in Garageband and editing pictures in Photoshop. I am also under a budget of about $1900 Canadian. What my main question is this, What product should I get? A mac mini seems to low, an emac seems like not quite enough but it could work, or a iMac but its just a bit too expensive. Also I need to know what kind of specs I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance,
    Future Switcher

2. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

Move to America, where money abounds in dollars.

[​IMG]

Negrodamus kids.

Negrodamus says to get either iMac or ibook/powerbook. Notebooks are cooler because of the portability and gets you chicks at Starbucks. When you get any of these computers, make sure you upgrade ram to at least 768 megs of ram (buy from 3rd party vendor, works just as good).

Consider buying a refurb, save billions of canadian dollars.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Really? :eek:

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Uh... Canada uses dollars too.

Take a look at the 17 in. iMac. It comes with a 2Ghz G5 processor and a DVD-burning Superdrive, and it costs only $1849.00C, just uner your $1900 limit. Sure it would be nice to have a portable, but with the iMac you get a whole lot more computer for your money.

5. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

Negrodamus does not like, he only predicts the truth...

6. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Since it doesn't matter alot to me, I could easily wait until January to get my mac if I knew for sure that Apple would have changed to Intel. Is it worth the wait? I'm not mad at my pc, I would just like to have a mac. One more question, When you buy a mac does it have any web editing programs that come with it? (ex. Frontpage for Windows)

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

There is no guarantee that there will be Intel-based Macs introduced in January at MWSF. The switch is said to have begun (in part) by June of 2006. If that means availability/announcement/nothing at all in January is up in the air.

I would say wait... While it's no skin off your back, you may end up being able to get something much nicer just a few months down the road.

Nothing pre-installed. But Macromedia Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive, and many more small shareware apps are available.

8. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Wow... you're a pushover! ;)

See what this fall's lineup of hardware looks like and see if you want to make the leap then. Otherwise, if you're cool with waiting, you'll end up with a sweet machine in about a year.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If you really want a new Mac now you should purchase now. The first Intel Mac won't come out until after January 2006, it may not be ready for delivery till mid year. Also smart in the Mac community to not purchase the Rev A.. If you have refurbs in the Canada Store, would recommend it highly. Then you could get more Mac at less cost.

11. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

They don't have refurbs in the Canada Store, I only wish they did.

12. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

How would Adobe Creative Suite and Dreamweaver run on either the eMac or Mac Mini? That would be a Mini with1.42 GHz with 1Gb Ram 1 DIMs and 80Gb HD or the eMac 1.42 GHz with 1 GB Ram 2 DIM's, 160 GB HD.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree. Go with a 2GHz iMac G5- Plenty of speed and still affordable!