Too much broadband is a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This article was on the BBC website today - a guy going back to a 56k modem after 5 years on broadband

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4242751.stm

Part of me agrees - I'm an internet junkie and I love the idea that pretty much all the info I need I can get hold off. (Having said that, I do still go out to pubs/restaurants/the beach without taking a wi-fi device with me so all hope's not gone!) But the few times recently I've ended up on a 56K connection have driven me mad - so I guess that route isn't an option I'd consider.

Anyone else have any thoughts about how much time they spend 'hooked up' and how it's varied since they got broadband?

2. iGav macrumors G3

I still use the 56k in my PowerBook regularly when I'm away or at friends where I don't have access to BB, I honestly don't find it an issue for normal browsing, of course it's a pain in the arse when you hit some Flash heavy site coded by someone that doesn't have a clue, but for browsing and the like it's fine.

And this is coming from someone who's used to an industrial level connection to zapp pre-comps to post houses for rendering. :D

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I use cable Internet at home (slow version) but my wife has recently complained that it was too slow. :p It also creates problems since we now use Vonage for our phone service. Sooo, I guess I have to beef up our Internet speed again. Gee, what would my wife do if we were still on dial up? :D

BTW, I was helping my sister last night, and she has dial up. I think I will stick with cable. Wayyyy too slow

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i hate having to go home from uni. last year i had a nice 10Mbit connection and this year i have a 1Mbit connection. every holiday i have to go home to dial up and its just a pain. everything seems so much slower and just takes a lot longer. oh and dialing up is just a pain now!

a disadvantage of broadband is that it does waste a lot of your time though! particuary on here!

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

After having broadband, I can never go back to dail-up.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Too much broadband a bad thing?

Having just installed a 1mb line at home, it's definitely a much greater distraction to working than dial-up.

With the dial-up, it took a conscious decision to start it up and it wasn't always that pleasurable. I was also reduced to downloading hefty files at work...

This, on the other hand, is nice but sometimes a little too nice... especially when a deadline is pressing.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Like the author, I started broadband in the 20th Century also. It seems that he has taken a drastic action to correct an addiction. I personally wouldn't want to return to dial-up, still remember the frustration. Although I still have ti with server hang-ups, no matter how fast the broadband. Broadband is the only way to go when a wife also uses the internet. Especially when her use is often for work via a wireless connection.

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I have always-on access through the corporate T1 at work, so there's no getting away from it. If I want to break my habits, I must learn to do better myself, without blaming the problem on my connection.

Information addiction hasn't yet been a problem at home, since I do more of my surfing here at work than I should. I have broadband at home because generally if I'm accessing information there, it's not just doodling around to pass time. It's for a reason--movie times, weather or traffic information, iTMS, etc.--and I want what I'm looking for as quickly as possible.

I find it interesting that the amount of time I spend on the 'net is inversely proportional to the necessity of obtaining the information. :)

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The thought of having to dial up just to check my e-mails makes me shudder!

I'll be happy if I never I have to hear that fuzzy dial up connection noise ever again!

10. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Having a 1.5mb DSL line has spoiled me. I used to consider anything over 5-10MB a "major" download. I remember some hefty downloads literally taking all day and/or night! Now I can (and have) download multiple 600MB+ Linux ISOs and not even think twice about it. :D Another great thing about broadband is that multiple people can use the connection at the same time. I remember my old days on AOhelL when the "sorry, xxxx is already signed on" messages were frequent. Instant, always-on connections are simply the best. :cool:

11. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

I've thought about doing that... but don't think I'd like dial up very much anymore. When a simple OS patch can be 10M or more, I'd hate to d/l everything at work, and lug home to update machines. Not to mention how many media heavy sites are out there now.

I do know of one person who doesn't have broadband since he doesn't 'need' it. Whatever works...

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Having been an 'early adopter' of broadband when it became available in my area in 1999 (I think) I was very very bummed to have to return to dial-up recently because of my rural location.

I gotta say, it sucks. I have to keep half a dozen tabs going so that I can switch to some other site while I load another page. I suppose this had helped a little with my multi-tasking ability, but it's also hindered my train-of-thought process on a few occasions. Also I'm once again considering keeping a second phone line just for internet use because it takes up my phone line which really sucks. Wouldn't suck so bad if I got good cell phone reception here, but that's spotty as well. Oh well, such is the trade off for my closest neighbor being about a quarter mile away, and not having more than 6 houses within a half mile radius. More cows than people out here, which I quite enjoy.

If I had a choice at this point I'd switch back to broadband in a second, but a satellite rig goes for a $600 set-up and a $69.99 monthly charge keeps me holding out for a while more. It's been about 6 months so far and I'm slowly going crazy without high speed internet. No more iTMS. Luckily I can just pick up the two laptops and take them to work to update.

And not only am I doing dial-up (which I'm sure really isn't giving me 56k), I'm SHARING that trickle with my wife occasionally when she needs to get online at the same time! It's like molasses in winter.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Gotta love people who have no clue whatsoever about designing websites. Flash for two-frame banners, useless java widgets and the like.

I once had to regularily use a website that had 800 lines of CSS on each page - all the same code. :eek: Who bothers with .css files anyway. I say embed it right in there. Pshaw.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had an always-on connection (128 kb/s) since 2001, and broadband (2 Mb/s) since last year. Going back to dialup (eg. when at someone else's house) really frustrates me. It's amazing that some people are prepared to wait 15 minutes for 5 MB!

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Too much broadband is obviously a bad thing for you.

Didin't you just say you were going to bed? :D

16. deebster macrumors 6502

Too much broadband might be a bad thing, but any dialup is god-awful.

I've never had the pleasure of using broadband, do wait 15 minutes for 5MB, get cut off regularly (especially when it's windy or raining), and, well, you get the point.

Don't even let me get started on the 600MB download I am 31% through (and still 45 hours away from finishing).

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd have to agree - stepping back to dialup is horrible. Especially since I'd miss the ability to download 600MB in an hour. :D sorry. :eek:

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am living in a Matrix world and have a Matrix life. ;) :)

19. maya macrumors 68040

maya

When I downgraded from a 5M line to a 3M line I could not bare the loss in speed, it was a short lived nightmare which only lasted a day. ;) :) :D

20. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I was spending too much time on the Internet reading newsgroups and news website and I didn't have time for anything else. There is so much stuff there and reading it all isn't going to get you anything. Limiting myself to the MacRumors.com front page, Macintouch.com and one news site only takes about 15 minutes.

I still use the Internet for researching products or looking up information, but I have cut down on my general browsing considerably. I use e-mail a lot and so having to wait for dial-up to connect and download my e-mail would be frustrating. Now, it takes no time at all because the broadband connection is always on and my new e-mail is already in my inbox.

Could I live with dial-up? Yes. Is my life better with broadband? Yes. Have I resolved to not read all the new forum posts on MacRumors.com? Yes.

21. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Could you really tell the difference? If so, what exactly was different? I would think that the server you're going to would be the bottleneck so 5M to 3M wouldn't be noticable.

22. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

most of the time some can not tell the diffence bettween a 10Mbit line and a 1Mit line for the internet mainly because the limiting factors are downloading stuff is normally not at end of the user but limits set by the sites they are surfing so it pretty rare to go over 1Mbit/s. I remeber back at home before we got XP on the computer I could look at the modem though the computer and see how much it was downloading. It was rare for it to go over 1 Mbit. I think once or twice in over a year I say it stay about 1 mbit for more than a second or 2.

23. silentrage macrumors member

I have broadband in my home. If I find the Internet to be distracting my from task I hand I simply turn off my airport card and forbid myself from accessing the Internet. I realized that I will surf the Internet for useless stuff just to avoid doing work. Therefore, I make a deal with myself. I have to do 50 minutes of work, then I get 10 minutes to browse. By doing that I get so much done and generally, when the 50 minutes are up I don't even realize it. Sometimes 2 hours will pass without me logging on at all. :cool: To me, it is a matter of self-discipline.

24. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Ever since I got rid of 56k and switched to broadband, I have been on the computer much more. Sometimes up to 10 hours a day. I try to limit myself, but it certainly is addictive (ecspecially after a hard day.)

25. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    i've been thinking of just switching to only the GSM connection on my cell phone. Then I won't have to have a land line, cable, or dsl. of course it would be really slow and I would have a limited amount of data I could download (unless I change my plan), but it would help curb the amount of time i waste on here. I can always go in to work if i need to download large files.