Too much information on the interweb?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Aug 10, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm currently in themarket for a new camera, and have posted such in the digital photography forum. I've also posted and read pretty much everything pertaining to the cameras being considered at dpreview, Steve's digicams, and elsewhere. And now, I'm about as confused as I was three weeks ago before I decided I need a new camera.

I've got so much swimming around my head right now, everytime I think I've whittled three down to two, I change my mind. Has anybody else noticed that with the explosion of information available on the internet, what you thought would make decisions easier has instead made decisions much more difficult? I almost yearn for the days when I had to make my decisions on a little bit of research and just diving headfirst....

2. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

That sounds just like my dad. He decides he needs something and spends the next three months researching the thing online and then checks ratings on consumer reports before he buys it.

Hes also the type that won't just go out and buy a new machine because they might update it. He was using a G3 beige tower parading the excuse that he could always upgrade it to a G4 if he wanted to. When he finally buys a new iMac G5 Apple updates the line a week later with the built-in iSights. When my mom told me I couldn't stop laughing.

3. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Just compile a list of features you need then make a list of cameras that have those features. Finally, choose the one that appeals to you buy it and enjoy.

4. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yeah, but what do you do when each is the best in different areas (as it is always going to be)? And making things worse is you find that different reviews evaluate just a little differently. And then you realize that if you spend just a little bit more money, there is something that is a little bit closer to having the features you want the way you want them. But, it is also more money, so you figure you'll just figure out how to get more out of what you are planning on buying.

Looking at the camera in particular, I look at some of the pictures from my old digital, and up to 8x10, they look great. But, here I'm just looking for something a bit better/bigger and I'm driving myself nuts. Did I mention that when I got the last camera I decided on the one I wanted, went to three stores looking for one that had it in stock, and bought it - zero research...