Too sexist (even for me)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Okay, I like a good-looking lady as much as the next guy...and I'm not beyond checking out an occasional NFL cheerleader...

But there's this link on CNN's web site which offers a must-see NFL cheerleaders gallery.

Yikes. :eek:

Ignoring the fact that, of the 20 women "profiled", fully 14 of them are from the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders squad (what, are they the only good-looking women around?), a few of the pictures are rather disturbing.

This girl looks like a candidate for an anorexia clinic.

And perhaps it's me, but this one looks like she's all of 16 years old. (I know, I know, but she looks it.)

And check out the way they've framed this girl. It seems almost certain that the picture is turned 90º counterclockwise in order to get the girl in a position that looks

Either I'm getting old, or CNN/SI is getting really tacky. :(
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Sports Illustrated has always been tacky and sexist... Since WHEN does a SPORTS publication, aimed at mainly men need a WOMEN'S swimsuit edition? I know that men out there aren't saying "wow! that is a totally flattering bikini, perhaps I should buy it for my significant other because I love her and she would appreciate it!"
    It's all "giggity giggity!!" *sports scores* "GIGGITY!!"

Sometimes I'm reaaaalllll sick of the media's portrayal of "beauty".

Pfffttt, I'm 5'8" and a size 10, not a size 00, like "THE MAN!" wants me to be, and I am not anywhere near fat. but sometimes I have to find clothing in the "plus size" dept?!

size 00 and 36C does not beauty make.
    Confidence and approachability do.

Yeaaa, if you see some skinny, frowning woman with a giant rack and you see me, being fun and talkative at a partaaayyyy (because I party hard all the time, no?) who would you go talk to?
    someone you'd have FUN with
    or someone who is visually appealing (or what the media wants you to think is visually appealing) but incredibly dull and sour?
    THAAATTSSS RIGHT! Fun, talkative, smart people WIN!

Just like how I'd rather date a guy who can string more than two words together to form a sentence than a guy who pops all the buttons off his shirt, just by barely flexing.
    Arrrggghhhhhhh I get too worked up about the weirdest crap.

So, in summary:
    cheerleaders = too skinny
    and I don't like them
    and uhhmm... the media, etc.

THE END (or is it?)
  3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    oh yea!
    and why does any sport need half (or 3/4 or 90%) naked women to prance around during the game?

They should concentrate on the game, not the women.
    They need to earn that $70million contract...

(ooo. don't get me started on how much they get paid vs. people who really make a difference in the world for the positive... teachers, music teachers, etc)

Explain the logic...

/my eye is twitching
    ////hehe, I have low blood pressure.. when I'm mad, it's still about 108/74, so it's ok
  4. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Thomas, thank you for what is surely the best post I've seen here in a LONG time. :cool:
  5. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Well maybe she should get together with the french whore and start up a clinic
  6. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    You should check out hockey. Hockey rules!
  7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

In Texas, we don't believe in Hockey.

No, I don't know how that works, either. :p

O, Canada... :)
  8. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    We have cheerleaders at Carolina Hurricanes home games... had 'em for a few years now. :)
  9. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    There's a smidgen of belief: the Dallas Stars. :p
  10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Dallas -> Federal Reserve District Bank -> Cancelled Fed Challenge -> KT HATES DALLAS AND I AM DISOWNING THEM.

Also, I think it's the Houston Aeros?
    Whatever, the ice melts-- it's Texas.

When I'm empress of the entire universe, I'll decree that cheerleading detracts from the sport and ban it.

/I'll be impeached within 2 minutes.
  11. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    At GM Place they have ice girls that come around during the tv breaks and shovel away the snow from the boards.

They're hot.

But I should really start watching more football. Specifically Dallas games.
  12. yenko macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2005
    I think they're beautiful. I hope I never get that old not to appreciate cheerleaders. :)
  13. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2005
    38° 12'47.72" N 85° 31'54.63" W
    I happen to be a fan of cheerleaders having been one myself in HS. Yes I am male. Yes, I am hetero. And yes, I did it becuase it was fun. The only thing that I did not like about the SI shots were the fact that they were almost exclusively the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. While they have been the gold standard for CL squads for years they are way overrated... Lets see some other teams represented.
  14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Because a member of the general public won't pay for a ticket, pay for parking, pay for food/drink, and then sit with tens of thousands of other members of the general public to watch a teacher teach. Not to mention millions of people aren't going to sit down on their couch and watch a live broadcast of a teacher teaching. I also really don't see cans of Campbell's soup flying off the shelves because Mr. Holcom (my HS shop teacher) eats Campbell's soup.

Professional sports generates massive amounts of revenue as an industry and it's only fair, IMO, that the athletes reap monetary rewards on par w/the amount of revenue they generate. Would you rather it be more like the music industry where usually the artist/band barely receives a fraction of the revenue their music generates?

As for "people who really make a difference in the world for the positive" I think pro athletes can have a very positive influence. I grew up playing sports and I can't imagine not having sports in my life anymore than not having music or not having editing. There are a number of pro athletes that influenced and inspired me growing up. Many pro athletes also give back to the local communities of the team they play on as well as their hometown communities.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I don't think those girls are too skinny, although I'd have to see more shots of them from further away (ie: not from close up) for me to get a better idea.

I think they're hot. :p To me, this thread was just a great reason to post pics of hot girls. YAY!

Not true if the guys at this party didn't know you already. Hawt girl with giant boobs will get more attention, and after talking with her, if people think she's an idiot/annoying/snobbish/etc, then around 33% of those guys will move on to someone else who they might actually like to talk to, since both looks and personality are important and should be in balance. The other 67% of the guys who talk to her that night wouldn't care if she was dumb or annoying or snooty. Why?? Because she's still hot.

Oh naive Katie. That's the world. ;)
  16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'm sure it was. SHWING!
  17. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2005
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    Those girls are totally dime-a-dozen. Katie made countless excellent points, as she's prone to do.

Not only do they not deliver with personality, there's nothing at all unique or interesting about the way they look. What's the point anyway, guys?

I guess I'll never get it.
  18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    I must agree with Abstract on this issue. The girls in the photos did not look anorexic to me at all. I know it's hard for some of you to believe, but not all of us sit on a computer all day, browsing forums, and getting fat. The girls were thin, but healthy. Is it sexist? It's debatable, but I don't see it. Yes, athletes make much more money than police officers, teachers, etc. But these professions, no matter how important, do not generate revenue. It's business. We live in a capitalist nation, get over it. Also, to put someone down by saying that they are void of personality is an ignorant blanket statement. Do you know these girls, Katie? Have you spoken to them? It shows how uncomfortable you are with yourself if you go around insulting people without merit.
  19. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    We should ask the girls if they feel exploited.
  20. dansuz1 macrumors member

May 7, 2003
    Washington, D.C.
    I gotta say that I've met a number of cheerleaders from professional teams (San Diego Charges and Dallas Cowboys) when they do USO tours to combat zones. Once, on a UN mission, 6 Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders flew out on a BlackHawk helicoptor to our Observation Post and did a 30 minute meet and greet. They were all incredibly nice. All of my soldiers were ecstatic about the visit. As the helicopter took off for the next OP, it was like a scene from Apocalypse Now, with soldiers standing on all of the containers they could to wave goodbye to the girls. It was a great day and a great morale boost. The same basic story about the SD chargers cheerleaders.

I've heard the same thing from others when these teams and others have visited in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So I would say that these women were al incredibly nice and very athletic. Of course they could be different in a one-on-one social setting, but professionally, they're great.
  21. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    never got the fuss about cheerleaders ..... if i go to a match then i want to see the players on the field giving the best ... not some dancing or acrobatics.. then i would go to a circus .. perhaps all those breaks in american football require something as a filler...
  22. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    It’s hardly the worst publication for gratuitous images; you should see the UK’s daily ‘newspapers’.
    They’re in the business of selling magazines and as everyone knows nothing sells like sex.

I agree, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. On a nice day when I’m in a good mood I can hardly walk down the street without finding beauty in nearly every passing female.
    Remember the media are in it for the cash. Where there’s cash there’s crotch.

But it isn’t ugly either. (Although I have no idea how women’s clothing is sized. If a man need clothes he measures round his waist reads the tape and then finds trousers labeled 32”, or whatever, what kind of measurement is 00?)

Give me more info. on the rack. :D

I like to think of myself as witty and approachable AND I’ve been known to pop button off my shirt just breathing out, hell I nearly blinded a guy with the button off my jeans just sitting down once? :eek:
  23. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    or if the fans paying their wages do?

Why was 'trolley-dash' the first thing that came into my head when I saw photo 5 of 21? :eek:
  24. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Cheerleaders get paid about $50 per home game, and they don't get compensated for rehearsal time.
  25. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    so nobody here like cheerleaders? or skinny girls? :rolleyes: :cool: