Took the plunge and went Mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by VespR, Oct 7, 2004.

1. VespR macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2004
    Hi all, after spending the last few months glued to this website I have finally taken the plunge and purchased my first Mac. I'm at student at Bradford University, studying Interactive Systems and Video Games Design [in my finaly year], and I have just purchased the 12" SD Powerbook (I'll update the memory when I can afford it!), the 23" Cinema Display, Altec Lansing FX speakers, an iCurve, Wireless keyboard, Brenthaven backpack, and an iPod 20GB. Airport is on it's way when I get the extra cash!

I decided to buy now because the offers displayed by Apple at the moment were to good to turn down. £130 cash back with Cram & Jam plus a ten month interest free loan to pay off the for the display which my part time job can afford. Needless to say, after I sell this horrible Windows PC I'll be able to clear more of the debt off!

However, my only concern now is which wireless mouse do I get? After looking around and having spent an absolute fortune I see no reason to stop just yet and have been very intrigued by the Logitech MX 1000. Although, forum discussions on the logitech site have led me to believe this isn't actually a very good mouse. Does anybody here have any experience with this mouse and what it's performance is like with the Mac. As far as I can tell it's driver issues, which Logitech are aware of, but then maybe this isn't a problem with the Mac. Feedback would be appreciated.

That aside, I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new machine, thanks all for the posting on this site that has finally pushed me over the edge!

Oh and on a side note, does anybody have any experience on developing ColdFusion MX on OS X as this is something I have to be able to do. Macromedia say that CF is now a viable on the Mac since to move to J2EE but first hand experience would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Congrats on the switch. I have the MX1000 and love it. No driver issues, it just works. Search the forums for MX1000, there are a few threads on it. THe consensus seems to be it's great.
  3. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Wow... you switched in style, bro! What a wicked setup! Enjoy!
  4. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    I have the MX1000 as well, and haven't encountered any driver issues or other problems. It's by far the best mouse I've ever used.

Congratulations on the switch!
  5. VespR thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2004
    Hehe thanks future! The display purchase means I'll be living tight for the next 10 months, but as I final year student most of my time now will be spent in doors working on my dissertation. Got the partying bug out my system now!

I was intending on getting the 20" but I thought what the hell! With the University Edu discount this means I can buy this purchase and then probably sell it in 9 months when my degree is up and I move back home and I will probably make my money back and a little profit, provided I keep it up tip top condition! Although the sales rep did tell me that while that is a great idea to make some money back, she was convinced I will never be able to part with it! eek!

I needed the 12" laptop because I'll be moving back and forth between University and my home in London to see my g/f so it's important and I can take my work with me, and because I'm just developing code over doing something graphical I shouldn't be at too much of a loss with the screen space. Although adapting to a 12" display from a 23" widescreen might be problematic. I honestly though cannot wait for this system to arrive after having fallen in love my with my friends iMac G4. I just wish I could throw this windows machine out the window when all does come to relief overdue stress from blue screen and loss of work on countless occasions. Sadly this baby needs to be sold to help pave the apple way!

Thanks for all the feedback on the Mouse. I've searched around on the forum and hopefully will be purchasing one in due time. I'm sorry to say I cannot move over to a one button mouse. I understand the ease of use with it but it just doesn't seem feasible to me.
  6. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    You absolutely did the right thing IMO, I'm kinda kicking myself from time to time for being a little cheap and getting the 20" instead of the 23"... not that it's not just as beautiful, but, you know, it's just not the ultimate display to go with my PB... :eek: Anyways the sales rep is dead right, you'll never sell this beauty - unless you're completely hooked on that sweet Apple stuff and get a Powermac plus The Big One (aka 30") :D [obsessive] Some day Apple will build a PowerBook with a gfx card able to handle the 30", and both WILL be mine, mine, mine :eek: [/obsessive]