Took the plunge, finally installed Tiger and....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlBDamned, Jul 14, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

All is good! I like it. Seems to be running about the same speed as Panther was.

Did a clean install after backing up and updated all the software before installing anything or reloading pics, itunes etc. Worked a dream.

Photoshop, Quark and MS office were all fine in the reload. Interestingly, MS Office was able to load fine from just copying to and from the back-up drive. Quark originally booted up like this but was missing a bit and then wouldn't load so I dumped it and re-installed. No Problem at all with activation.

Photoshop worked ok with just copying but was missing one component. I could still use it ok but decided again to just dump it and reinstall clean. No problem with activating here either - it did not need it.

Don't know why I tried the copy to and copy back method but I think it was just curiousity. It sort of worked as I didn't need to install Office again. Not bad.

One problem was I lost my Mail inbox and sent messages on the transfer. Got a couple of filed mailboxes through ok but the others wouldn't recognise. It's not a big problem though as I only use it as a duplicate to my work account so I can just copy them. Good so far.

Mail 2 though - What the hell did they make it look like that for??? 1 was much better and having the two lined up here for a direct comparison makes me dislike mail 2 even more. Ah well.

Widgets: Not got too into them yet but I like the plane tracker so far as my brother is flying home from Australia today for a holiday. It's cool to tack his progress live! widget manager seems a good idea.

Other than that, everything seems to be working ok. Not had a major go with it yet due to being at work and finishing the install at about 1am this morning, but I think I waited for the right update to go ahead. Think I may go with the proposed hefty RAM upgrade to boost things once I get going on it this weekend.

Tiger is good!!!

P.S. Any other 'must have' widgets out of the 400 or so available?

Edit: Actually it's more like 800+ available and that's just at Apple...!

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Glad you took the plunge. It amazes me that people are scared off by magazine articles, instead of taking the plunge.

I installed it the day I got in, 10 mins after I walked in the door! I really love it.

For widgets - try this thread. As a matter of personal taste the ones I use most often are stickies, Wikipedia, Gmail checker (the one that looks like a british stamp), dictionary and weather.

I wasnt that impressed with dashboard to begin with, it was more of a novelty, but I find myself using it every few minutes for something :)

The other thing to try is ctrl+cmd+d while you hover your mouse over a word in Safari to get an instand definition of the word! Also after a while you realise how important Spotlight is - I never bother using Finder to access my programs now, just cmd+space > type a few letters and there it is!

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That's a smart feature - dictionary widget is proving highly useful to me anyway but that adds!

I'm liking it all though. A couple of lags here and there but I think that will come down to some fine tuning such as dumping fonts (I have a real aversion to having lots of fonts!), languages and other crap that I had binned in Panther. The Ram upgrade will help. Was considering another 256 to take me to a gig but am going to go up to 1.5 instead. Should be flying once it's all sorted.

Now I've just got to convince the IT dept. to get it for the office. Wish I could keep Mail 1 though. Mail 2 is horrible to look at.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I took the plunge, found all sorts of things not working, reinstalled, still hated the bugs, and finally reverted to 10.3.9. It doesn't seem to work for everyone.

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Dare I ask was it clean or archive....!!! Fingers crossed it hasn't done anything too bad yet.

P.S. I got bottled in Richmond once. Right outside the slug & lettuce!! :eek: Moved to Putney now.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I've been running Tiger since it was released, and it's hard going back to Panther, after having used Spotlight and Dashboard. Panther feels so inadequate.

There are Tiger bugs, but none that have proved fatal to my work. I've had none of the bugs that's been bandied around, other than the iPhoto color-shift and QT H.264 bugs.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

First I upgraded, then I did an Archive and Install.

Spotlight failed to find things, Mail has lost its progress reporting, Dashboard is just a processor-hungry distraction, and Tiger broke half my apps, PS7, AI10, Word 2004 and others. No gain, lots of pain. Bah! :mad:

Now everything runs sweetly again on 10.3.9.

8. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I got Tiger the day of release, installed and it's been a breeze since!

I tried out iPhoto and yes that colour shift bug is definitely there, (iPhoto update is supposed to fix that but I've yet to try it).

Dashboard is useful, nice to have convertors and so on so easily to hand, especially if you are somewhere without the internet so you can't go to a website that offers the same function.

I don't use Spotlight as often as I thought I would, but when I have needed it it has been handy. It hasn't quite changed the way I use a computer like they promised..but it's a nice addition!

Keeping my fingers crossed I don't run into any problems with 10.4.3 onwards!

9. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah Panther instantly felt lacking when I logged on at work. Even though at this stage Widgets are indeed just a distraction so it may be a good thing I don't have it at work. Spotlight I'm getting used to. Does it have to be in the top right hand corner? When the panel drops down I wish it could be more central to the screen.

Never had the iPhoto bug but I'm not a huge fan of that program, other than the way it syncs with the iPod, so I don't use it that much and, I don't use QT.

Don't have a clue why I could retrieve some mailboxes but not others though. I'm glad it was a dupe account! Anyone else lost any mailboxes?

10. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Once we had nailed the network problem with 10.3.9, I was amazed at how fluid I got it to run on both machines. Probably the best OS I've ever used (from 8.1 onward) Customising/personalising Tiger to that level will take some time.

11. louis_sx macrumors regular

I like Tiger, myself...it didn't break PhotoShop for me, but I use PS Elements 3. It didn't break Word 2004, either, though...Skunk, did you have Office 2004 updated with the most recent patches? I'd ask the same about PS7, too.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's an app out there (can't find it from work on the PC) which will give you the old Mail icons back if you hate it so much.

I loathed it to start with but it's grown on me. It grew on me more after I customised the toolbar to get rid of that stupid indent and re-organised the buttons into a more sensible order.

The UK Yellow Pages is very useful. And there's a UK TV listing that's also handy. In addition to those, I usually have Bug Me Not (not called that), Sodoku Fun, Photo (displays a random image from an iPhoto album) and one of the many iTunes/Album Art/lyrics widgets - can't decide which I prefer

13. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

http://otierney.net/cagefighter ?

Excellent. I think I may try customise it first but they do look better without the boxes. I liked the hide and show mailbox option on 1 too but that doesn't seem to be an option here. Just looks a bit dull in the new version. Maybe it 's just getting used to it.

Also, the actual Apple icon in the top left no longer has the embossed look to it, just a flat, matte icon instead. Both of these are just cosmetic prefences though so no big deal really.

Thanks! Also, has anyone tried the Yoda one for laughs?

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Everything was bang up-to-date. Word has always been pretty dicky, but just got worse with Tiger.

15. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Only problem I've ever had with the whole of office: Mac was to do with fonts and 'optimizing font performance' which is a bit of a joke. Other than that it's been fine for me thankfully. As said, it even worked with New install when I just copied it over from the back-up drive. No key entering, disc reload, or anything. I was quite surprised at that.

Have you tried reloading it fresh to get over it being dicky in Panther anyway?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh yes. BTDT, GTTS, as they say. Unexpected - aren't they all? - and unexplained quits, 3-second delay if you cut one word, beachballs all over the shop, unrequested and inconsistent reformatting of paragraphs, that kind of thing. Pain in the bum.

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    That's because MS Office has an invisible file in the main folder called PID, which holds your registration codes. The .plist files will automatically replace themselves when you open the applications, which hold preferences of the applications and that's about it.

18. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Coolio. That means, if you were that way inclined, you can just copy and copy and copy.... less $ for M$.

Note to Moderators: I'm just kiddin!

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Kiddin' or not, the M$ educational licence is for up to 3 machines anyway, so why bother?

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    True. But not everyone has acess to buy the educational version, and the educational version is non-upgradeable to the next full version of office. Not that this justifies piracy, I'm just simply stating the facts.

21. PeterD42 macrumors member

Essential widgets

There is a widget that supposedly gives live cricket scores but it doesn't seem to refresh very well - it can neither keep up with Gilchrist's batting or Pommie wickets falling :)

22. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Bet it really struggled when we were destroying you at the beginning of the series! ;)

It's all about the Ashes, Peter....

This is probably a very UK thing, but the Ceefax widget is proving a fave at te mo'. Despite the Web, Ceefax still rocks in its old 'BBC Comp' style!