Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Well I finally decided to take the plunge and sell of my 12.7 inch iPad Pro for it's junior sized one. I feel quite confident saying that the iPad Pro was to much iPad for me. This was confirmed from me going to an Apple Store and doing a contrast compare between the two pro models. Overall I found that the 12.7 pro was to large for portability and provided an unnecessary amount of bulk, which outweighed its usefulness to me. Overall it's nice to be back to the generic iPad size, but with the bells whistles of the pro line. Hoping this post can maybe assist someone who is on the fence between the two models, I found like I said previously the bulkier size was generally the determining factor of selling the iPad. At the end of the day yes, the screen was great, but not practical for me. Thanks for reading!

Reactions: baypharm and mixel

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Hmm. This will set off some people probably. 12" is too big for me too. Lovely iPads both of them, but you gotta use what suits you best.

Puzzled by what you mean by "unnecessary amount of bluntness" though? :)

Reactions: tarasis

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Hmm. This will set off some people probably. 12" is too big for me too. Lovely iPads both of them, but you gotta use what suits you best.

Puzzled by what you mean by "unnecessary amount of bluntness" though? :)

Meant bulkiness, but not real word. Autocorrect got me.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
yes. horses for courses. lovely we have options and Apple suit all needs and wants.

for me personally, using iPad as a working device, where it lives on my office desk all of it's life with the keyboard attached, the 12 incher is a no brainer. perfect.

but i think after using it since release i can see that if i were to choose a Pro for general consumption, traveling about with, using in bed/on couch etc etc i would now definitely plump for the regular size.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Well I finally decided to take the plunge and sell of my 12.7 inch iPad Pro for it's junior sized one. I feel quite confident saying that the iPad Pro was to much iPad for me. This was confirmed from me going to an Apple Store and doing a contrast compare between the two pro models. Overall I found that the 12.7 pro was to large for portability and provided an unnecessary amount of bulk, which outweighed its usefulness to me. Overall it's nice to be back to the generic iPad size, but with the bells whistles of the pro line. Hoping this post can maybe assist someone who is on the fence between the two models, I found like I said previously the bulkier size was generally the determining factor of selling the iPad. At the end of the day yes, the screen was great, but not practical for me. Thanks for reading!
Of course you had to buy the 12.9 initially in order to later find out that it's too big for you. ;)

Reactions: DononyG2

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
I love the 12.7" at home.. Love it. And I have my mini 4 for when I go out.. And I love it... I love them both.

I had the 9.7 for a few days and loved the true tone but at home it just didn't feel 'like a main computer' - which is what my 12.7" is.

They are all great devices. If I had to choose one device it would be the mini 4 - if Apple release an update I'll pre order regardless.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
12.7" Pro just doesn't have the portability factor, can't be held in portrait mode, why is this thing even a tablet again?

FairyCatInPink

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
12.7" Pro just doesn't have the portability factor, can't be held in portrait mode, why is this thing even a tablet again?

That is not true that 12.9" doesn't have portability, I'm not big person and still carry it around when I go to cafe or library when I know I'm working on my drawings or music. If you said "compare to 9.7", sure it's true, but if you mention about it, for me 9.7" is still too big about portability compare to 7.9" mini4.
And since my main purpose of using it is for drawing/music creation, I barely use portrait way, but I don't need to complain about it(since I barely use it in that way).

There are different needs and different use of iPads, I think it's nicer if you consider other persons needs as well as yours. 12.9" is nice size if you're an artist and/or need to work on something, and yet much better than bringing around laptop. But there's also people who loves to bring laptop better as well, because of the difference of their needs and difference of its use.

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I love the 12.7" at home.. Love it. And I have my mini 4 for when I go out.. And I love it... I love them both.

I had the 9.7 for a few days and loved the true tone but at home it just didn't feel 'like a main computer' - which is what my 12.7" is.

They are all great devices. If I had to choose one device it would be the mini 4 - if Apple release an update I'll pre order regardless.
Do you only use iPads? How is that working for you? I want to sell my MacBook, and just use iPad at home.

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Do you only use iPads? How is that working for you? I want to sell my MacBook, and just use iPad at home.

I think it all depends strictly upon the user and the depth of use. Personally I could not function without a PC (archaic ordering programs for work) Otherwise in my free time I am PC gaming, but more console than anything. Largely my uses other than gaming is mostly consumption and not much creativity that requires strict use of a full blow computer. I can word process and function independently with an iPad if I did not game on a PC.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Depends on how you use a tablet. I walk around my classroom with my iPad, so the 9.7" iPad is just right and the 12.9" iPad is certainly too big and bulky.

If your tablet is constantly on a desk, size isn't really a concern and the extra screen space is handy for multitasking or typing.

Different sets of priorities for different people.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
In your case it's not portable or is a pointless sized tablet. We get it mate, you hate the 12.9 Ipad. lol, ;)
IMO though, Apple did a good job leveling out the weight distribution; making it weigh less and more portable than one would think.

Kal.

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
That's just silly. Of course it has almost the screen size of the most popular Mac portables. On top of that it is significantly lighter than a Mac, so there is your portability.

Same size as a MacBook with a fraction of the productivity

Just doesn't make sense for it exist

FairyCatInPink

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Same size as a MacBook with a fraction of the productivity

Just doesn't make sense for it exist

You're not getting the point of what other people saying back to you here as their response to your previous post.
It's not the matter if it doesn't make YOU feel it makes sense, but Apple makes their products for All people. They are watching huge number for their marketing, not individual.
If I need to say "it doesn't make sense to me" about one of their device, it's actually 9.7". Not big enough for drawing/working on(for ME), and yet not small enough when I consider its priority is portability(for ME). But I also understand of the needs for 9.7" and sure it's useful for other people depends on what is their priority and their main purpose to use it.

Saying something like you did makes you look like you are not reasonable person, just because you're forcing your decision to other people who have different needs and calling their decision as "make no sense". You can say what YOU feel like or think about those, but it's different when you say like "I don't know why it exists" or "it's useless". And I think if you just telling your opinion about device with respect to others decision and needs, people respond here to you differently.

I hope you get what I mean correctly this time.

By the way, MacBook has its great productivity too, and that's why many artists/musicians use Mac.

Last edited:

Brokenspoke

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
Yes, I sold my MacBook Pro and do all my work on the iPad Pro. I could not be happier with the Pro. The Logi keyboard and the Pencil make the Pro a real productivity tool. Really good apps there for it. NotePad + is the most recent that works for me.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Even I kind of agree 12.9" iPP is only for select people with select purposes ! I don't know about productivity because should be the same as 9.7", but portability is sure a huge problem with that big thing !!

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Even I kind of agree 12.9" iPP is only for select people with select purposes ! I don't know about productivity because should be the same as 9.7", but portability is sure a huge problem with that big thing !!

besides bigger screen, productivity is the same. I will say that split screen would obviously be more useful on the 12.7", still doesn't change that there is not functional difference

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
besides bigger screen, productivity is the same. I will say that split screen would obviously be more useful on the 12.7", still doesn't change that there is not functional difference

The MacBook Pro comes in two different sizes, as does the iMac. Other than screen size, functionally, they are the same. If bigger screen isn't useful, why not just have one size of each?

I love my 12.9 iPP because the larger screen lets me see more content at once than on the 9.7. For me, that's a functional difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.