Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
sorry, but i had to do these on photobucket.:-/

tree-
tree-1.jpg

reflection-
reflection.jpg

light outlet-
light_outlet.jpg

rock path-
rockpath.jpg

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
These are nice. What camera were you using?

Only criticisms I have is that the first one is out of focus. Try retaking it, use the same aperture, but focus more to the front of the tree.

For the second one, I would do something about the depth of field. Either use a smaller aperture (doorway more in focus, and detailed), or a larger one (doorway more of an impression)

The third one is nice. It's sharp, and I like the odd angle.

For the fourth one, I would straighten the horizon a bit (maybe ~5 clockwise).

Overall nice job.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Hello!

Well, overall, really good. I like them. Reminds me of a class I had called "Darkroom and Design" and "Digital Style and Design".

So, lets not say criticize, that's really negative in a way. Lets say critique.

1. Potential shot. Really good but there is camera shake or out of focus. I'd almost say camera shake. Good exposure, keeping the detail in the dark areas and not blowing out the highlights.

2. I like the shot. Only thing that bothers me is that in the middle pane of glass where you see the bush, there a little white specs that distract me.

3. Nice shot, like how I can't tell if it's above, below, or looking directly at when looked at in a glance. Overall really good exposure with keeping the highlights.

4. Decent shot, a little boring, could use a little more of an angle or something but good perspective.

Overall great shots. I like the 3rd one the most. Keep up the good work.

~Crawn

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
These are nice. What camera were you using?

Only criticisms I have is that the first one is out of focus. Try retaking it, use the same aperture, but focus more to the front of the tree.

For the second one, I would do something about the depth of field. Either use a smaller aperture (doorway more in focus, and detailed), or a larger one (doorway more of an impression)

The third one is nice. It's sharp, and I like the odd angle.

For the fourth one, I would straighten the horizon a bit (maybe ~5 clockwise).

Overall nice job.
wow! thanks guys! this was actually my first time with this camera..it's my dad's. it's a cannon rebel XTi. I had a photography lesson today, so i took those then. honestly, i quite like that the tree branch is out of focus.haha:D
thanks for all the great comments for a first timer.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
They're not bad, alot of potential in them, but about the tree out of focus... I see a small note right where what used to be a branch(I believe)... you should focus on that... put on a lower f/ stop (aperture... what every you call it) and have the back branch out of focus while the elbow is in focus.... But hey that just me:cool:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
honestly, i quite like that the tree branch is out of focus. haha :D
Actually, so do I. Makes me wish that photo was taken w/ a Holga, complete w/ square format, light leaks, and everything. :p Seriously. :eek:

That said, shot #2 sort of irks me. Being such a n00b myself, I can't quite put my finger on it, I think I find it visually frustrating 'cause I'd like to focus on the scene through the glass, but that doesn't seem to be what's in focus or sharp, which to me, looks like part of the frame/ door and mainly the "relfection." That wouldn't be a problem except, I don't find anything of interest to look at in the reflection. :eek: But this could just be the way I'm seeing it.

I'll agree w/ a previous poster, shot four is sort of standard, a little bland. But shot three is definitely the most intriguing (that and I do like the tree shot). I like the dabbling with the beginnings of abstraction. Wish you could push that even more. It'd be interesting.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
On the tree, if you're going to intentionally shoot out of focus, committ to it. Diversify the soft edges throughout the photograph. I understand your concept, but this just looks like camera shake.

What's bothering you about shot #2 is that there is no focus, where are we supposed to be looking? There's equal activity all around the photo, and no central focus point.

Photo #3, nice work. Your levels are pretty good, but this photo could really benefit with some Photoshop .raw adjustments. Play with the levels a little, contrast and brightness. The one thing you're going to have a harder time correcting is the noise. I'm guess this is ISO800?

#4 is a cool shot, just the wrong lens. This would have benefited from a portrait lens to give a better DOF.

Keep at it. I see a lot of potential in your work and look forward to seeing your future work.

Cheers.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
I do not agree

They're not bad, alot of potential in them, but about the tree out of focus... I see a small note right where what used to be a branch(I believe)... you should focus on that... put on a lower f/ stop (aperture... what every you call it) and have the back branch out of focus while the elbow is in focus.... But hey that just me:cool:

I'm sorry, but I have to say that focusing on the part you suggest and selecting a lower f value, therefore providing a shalower DoF will make this picture pretty much USELESS, pointless, whatever.

To the OP:

The picture (#1) as it is now is perfect, blurry, VERY abstract, etc.

Dude, congratulations for the level if you are starting. You will do better during your studies, but this is a wonderful shot at abstract.

Nevertheless, here is why I think you will do better:
- try using either more trivial or outstanding elements, stuff that the average joe blow will not think feasible in photography.
- I would use either panoramic (16/9; 16/10) or square format. This one right now is too "between two", IMHO. But that's just me.
- perhaps add some noise in photoshop, but not too much, otherwise it gets artificial.

I am by no means a professional photographer, but I am, like you, starter, and I am going to study starting next year in an art school, with photography as a major.

All in all, keep going, and don't think I'm like "omagad I'm the best". I hate it when people tell me "oh, you got a good picture here". I'd prefer a critique rather than a mediocre unsupported comment.

Keep going

BTW: you could look at my portfolio for the art school's application here. Could give you an idea of how un-advanced I pretend to be. :)

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
I like the second one most of all. Sure the first one could use a little focusing and a steady grip, but I can see what you were going for. Getting the rest down is pretty much technical. That will likely come with just getting used to the camera.

I found that just shooting a ton of photos was a good way to start. If I found something I liked I would just take that theme and run with it for a bit. Sure I had a ton of crap shots, but every now and then I would get a good one. I suppose the most important thing is that you learn from the good ones.

That being said, I like the theme of your second shot. I am sure that could be explored even more.
Do you have a Flickr account or the like?

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
to be honest with you, that is a pointless comment.

Shecky, what do you think of my pictures? i will respect this guy's personal opinions. maybe he had a bad day. It's thursday here, so maybe he's bummed it's not friday.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
Shecky, what do you think of my pictures? i will respect this guy's personal opinions. maybe he had a bad day. It's thursday here, so maybe he's bummed it's not friday.

i find them to be uninspired. and i totally disagree with the other post that the tree pic is "perfect" just the way it is and very abstract. it is not abstract at all, it is a blurry photo of a tree and looks like a mistake as opposted to intentional.

the one i think has some legs is the light outlet pic, but it needs to be more active in the frame; maybe some cropping, maybe push the contrast more, maybe angle the image

other than the tree none are "bad" they are just not doing anything for me.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I don't like them:

Photo 1: Camera shake/out of focus. What is the picture of?? Part of a tree? I don't see the significance.

Photo 2: I think it's too bright inside. I would have focused on the background, not the foreground. The lights reflecting in the window take over the picture.

Photo 3: Noisey. Leads me to believe you are using the automatic mode? I just don't like it, it seems you are trying to make these more abstract than you are capable of. Maybe you are trying too hard? I don't see the significance in a dirty light on a wall.

Photo 4: Straight desaturation of a colour image is not the best way to convert to black and white, and this is a prime example of such. The houses are overexposed and blow out. There's simply not enough contrast.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
It is always good to solicit feedback. I look at your photos and I don't see a point of view. The first is suffering from camera shake or lack of focus. The rock path is a sorta boring angle. The reflection in the window does not have enough visual contrast to show a difference. The brick wall is boring. Good efforts. Perhaps a better understanding of what you are trying to show would be good. Nice and new reflected in old and dingy? A tree old and gnarled splitting the frame into differing contrast zones. A brick wall with texture against a clear sky. The brick walk could separate two differing neighborhoods of old and new. You get the point. A photo that does not quite work can't be made interesting by making it B/W. Just my first impression. Keep shooting.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think that people will say anything these days. I'll be one who will tell you that each of the photos lacks any real technical ability on your part. Be it your first shots fine, but they do. They're flat for one. Your attempt to make something out of nothing by just converting to b&w with the desaturate command does not work here or in any photo really. The first one in my opinion was a mistake that you're attempting to pull off by calling it abstract. Others called it good because it's abstract. There is abstract and there is error. The second photo lacks any focal point. What are you trying to convey? Really, this is the stuff I see on appraisals for homes where they're trying to just prove there is a wall/window there. Photo three, I don't get it. It's nice to see that you changed your POV, but I still don't get it. Photo four, it is slanted for one, it lacks a focal point but it's one of the stronger ones I guess. I mean, at least our eyes are led somewhere, even if it's to a pack of boring homes with little to no depth.

Sorry, but I find your shots to be illustrative of test shots with someone's camera. Do you have potential? Probably, anyone with a digital camera does these days. I just don't see it here. Go outside and start over. Don't give up, just shoot more.

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
wow! thanks guys! this was actually my first time with this camera..it's my dad's. it's a cannon rebel XTi. I had a photography lesson today, so i took those then. honestly, i quite like that the tree branch is out of focus.haha:D
thanks for all the great comments for a first timer.

If you like it out of focus thats fine it means you are a photographer and not an image capture technician

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
I think that people will say anything these days. I'll be one who will tell you that each of the photos lacks any real technical ability on your part. Be it your first shots fine, but they do. They're flat for one. Your attempt to make something out of nothing by just converting to b&w with the desaturate command does not work here or in any photo really. The first one in my opinion was a mistake that you're attempting to pull off by calling it abstract. Others called it good because it's abstract. There is abstract and there is error. The second photo lacks any focal point. What are you trying to convey? Really, this is the stuff I see on appraisals for homes where they're trying to just prove there is a wall/window there. Photo three, I don't get it. It's nice to see that you changed your POV, but I still don't get it. Photo four, it is slanted for one, it lacks a focal point but it's one of the stronger ones I guess. I mean, at least our eyes are led somewhere, even if it's to a pack of boring homes with little to no depth.

Sorry, but I find your shots to be illustrative of test shots with someone's camera. Do you have potential? Probably, anyone with a digital camera does these days. I just don't see it here. Go outside and start over. Don't give up, just shoot more.

Wow are you one of the coffee table judges if it aint sharp, doesn't follow some obscure technical ruling of composition its not worth blinking my eyes at. If you are you are missing so so much the point of photography. There are too many techies judging a non-technical subject. Photography is about feeling not text book composition and comparison with coffee table publications. It is the art of the people, it cannot be strangled with convention and approval of self appointed critics. Some of the most moving and inspiring images are out of focus and 'poorly' composed they are not housed in cosy, whispery, coffee sipping galleries....they are above that

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Some of the most moving and inspiring images are out of focus and 'poorly' composed they are not housed in cosy, whispery, coffee sipping galleries....they are above that

While that may be true, they also inspire and invoke feelings. The only thing this blurry tree invokes is a sense of dizziness. It's not an insult to the photographer, it was his first day with the camera. Indeed, some masterpieces may have been accidents, but not all accidents are masterpieces.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
my opinion; they don't really float my boat. To me, they look like they were taken just because they might look alright, then converted to greyscale without much real emotion. I think they do have potential; maybe increase the contrast a bit. That all said, for a first timer, they are pretty good! :D

Just a quick job on the Rock Path one. What do you reckon?

Attachments

• rockpath.jpg
    rockpath.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 75

minty-freshness

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
my opinion; they don't really float my boat. To me, they look like they were taken just because they might look alright, then converted to greyscale without much real emotion. I think they do have potential; maybe increase the contrast a bit. That all said, for a first timer, they are pretty good! :D

Just a quick job on the Rock Path one. What do you reckon?

heh well, i took the pictures, but my teacher did the greyscaling. she's kinda robotic in how she works... it's kinda creepy. the reasoning behind all of these pictures is because it's where my parents used to work until i was about 9. I've had some history there, and i wanted to capture it. i've always found a fascination with that tree, i walked accross that rock structure, i ate at the restaurant (mighty good food, too), and the light is actually on the side of the old office they had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.