Tools for fighting SPAM

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by celaurie, Jun 19, 2003.

1. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Over the past few weeks I've noticed the amount of SPAM I've been getting has increased three-fold. This despite efforts to limit the appearance of my e-mail addresses online (ie. from SPAM bots).

I've been using a combination of the Junk Mail filter and SpamCop for a while now to report unsolicited messages, but this doesn't really help stop them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on futher ideas/tools to fight SPAM?

Chris, on a Crusade

2. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: Tools for fighting SPAM

Eliminate all appearances. Get a separate email address that you can dispose of for use online. Keep your personal email address to yourself. If you have to, change it to something more complicated/longer, especially if it's hotmail or yahoo or aol or some popular isp.

I have an email address that I give only to friends and it's not a popular ISP domain. I never put it online or give it to online stores. I never get spam.

My yahoo account, that I never have given to everyone? Tons of spam.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: Tools for fighting SPAM

some ISP's and stuff filter the mail before it arrives in your inbox. One example is Apple. They remove all junk mail that they know for certain is junk, then the rest gets dumped into your .mac inbox. very useful at times :)
    tip: When you're giving out addresses, don't do the standard user@something.com address, do something like user (at) something.com or user (at) something (dot) com to make it harder for bots to grab your e-mail address.