Tools for replacing macbook hard drive (London)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psychofreak, Feb 11, 2007.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

So, I found the above pdf guide from apple about replacing the hard disk.

Please see the first step of the 'removing the hard drive' section, where you have to loosen the screws.

As the area in which to put the screwdriver is small, I could not fit a regular screwdriver. I bought a 90 degree L shaped thing with screws on the end for getting into these places, but cannot find anywhere with either a head for this or something else that can loosen these screws (BTW it says in the guide that you need a Philips 1 screwdriver). I have been to maplin, b&q, PC world and a few small hardware stores.

I am in hammersmith, london and would be very grateful if someone could tell me where to get the tools I need, or recommend somewhere not too far away that could replace my hard drive for me. Thanks in advance.

2. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I've bought all my computer tools from here. You can find every type of screwdriver needed for apple computers (torx, hex, phillips) and in a variety of styles.

They are great for buying non-computer related tools as well.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Personally I'd head to to Maplin and buy these. I've found that they are very useful in lots of tight situations...

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

You might search for jewelers screwdrivers online. You might also see if the Apple store in London could assist you.

I found these online for Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=48943&doy=11m2
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx...TRONIC TOOL KITS&FromMenu=y&worldid=&doy=11m2
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=31682&doy=11m2

There were more sets with #1 Phillips head in them, though I'd go with the one with the Torx bits since Apple tends to use those here and there.

5. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Thanks, but I have a very similar set, but they are still too big, as I said, I would prefer a philips 1 'head' as I already have an L shaped thing.

Maplin sold me the L shaped thing, but had no heads.

Apple store regent street employees told me I had to go to an apple authorized technician, and they could not help me with doing it myself.

I would prefer to get the new HD as a.s.a.p, hopefully not online but in a shop.

If this is not possible, then please could someone recommend somewhere in London that could do the replacement for me...

6. surfer99 macrumors 6502

I had the exact same problem as you did. I live in the states and ended up going to a radio shack. They were able to get me the right screw drivers.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Buck and Ryan (several London shops) are the place for quality hand tools and knowledgeable staff to help you out.

8. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

I got the tools. I opened it up. It turns out (AFAIK) that the hard drive that I had asked about in another thread (and been told it was o.k.) has the wrong type of connector...attached are two photos of the drives.
    If there is any way on earth to do something please, I desperately need help.

The picture on the left is the newly bought seagate momentus 5400.3 160GB, which seems to be macbook compatible...but I cannot for the life of me squeeze it in to the connector. Bear in mind that I have never put any hard disk anywhere before.

Attached Files:

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Looks to me like you got an ATA drive there, instead of SATA (which is what you want).

Edit: Yep its ATA-100 which is NOT what you want

10. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

So I have to buy another one...damn...