"Toothing" with Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Community' started by Grimace, Jun 6, 2004.

1. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i can see how this can quickly turn ugly, what if criminals use it to lure ppl to mug them or even kill people
  2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    hmph! you're really the life of the party! But I supppoooose you're right...<sigh>

No, of course you're right. Random encounters with strangers are always a bad idea. The principle hasn't changed since your mom told you not to talk to strangers. Well, unless it needs to be modified to, "Don't send random messages over bluetooth to strangers in order to set up wild, anonymous sexual encounters."

There is so much wrong and stupid in this, but that's probably why people get a kick out of it.
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Never used a BT enabled phone. Do you have to type in someone's phone number to send them a message, or can you actually send messages to random people? What if you see someone you like. Can you aim at them in particular? :confused:

And if you're sitting on a train and get a BT message, isn't it kinda creepy knowing that someone sitting within a few metres of you is actually doing this, or maybe 2 people sitting nearby are planning it out? :confused: Its none of my business, I guess, but there's something weird all this. I'd imagine that the chances of someone standing within 10 metres of you to actually participate in this is very very rare, but maybe the English are more futuristic with their hook ups.
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    all you need is for their phone to be discoverable, you dont even need to pair it; its just like blue jacking cept with a sexual message

its weird to think they could be within 10 meters!!
  5. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, isnt this a easy way to pick up sexually transmitted diseases? Or is that kind of thing well under control in britan?
  6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    I only want bluetooth so I can use this with my cell.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    "Toothing" is not something that I would want to participate with. If it were between my wife and I, then I prefer the old fashion way. :D
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I use the similar program Veta to control a powerpoint presentation from my cell. Very slick. This does sound cool. :cool:

As far as the main thing was concerned, when they introduced those wireless dating toys in Japan, it was cute, this is more along the lines of sick. :(