Top 10 Reasons to Buy a 12" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Squire, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Ok, everybody, here's the deal...

I've been drooling over the 12" Powerbooks since they came out. This last upgrade has me really interested. I figure that I need (read "really want") a notebook before Christmas but having one now would be very handy. Even if they got an unlikely G5 upgrade, I'd be a little reluctant to buy a Rev. A machine. I've just begun some graduate work and my 166 MHz Pentium-running brick of a notebook is a drag. It's obsolete but still functional. The only problem is money, of course, and my wife. I need some reasons to convince her to agree to this purchase. I already have a 17" iMac so it might take some work. Aside from my Wintel machine having an "accident" what are some other good reasons to make the purchase? Here's what I've got so far:

1) The huge difference in performance between my current notebook -- it should be called a "textbook" -- will increase my productivity.

2) I spend so much time on the iMac, buying a Powerbook will give my wife a chance to learn the ins and outs of OS X. (She currently has little interest in it.)

3) I can make cool presentations.

4) ?

Any others?

Thanks,

Squire

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The #1 for me is the size. Go anywhere size.

#2 for me is the battery life. I get real world 3.5 hours.

3. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I know you're married. But you're a guy. So the answer remains:

chicks dig it.

Additional reason: 12" PB + Airport = total integration of machine into life. It becomes a companion, not a destination or barrier to interaction.

4. OziMac macrumors 6502

Have to agree with that one. My old 12"s were constant companions, I took them everywhere without a second thought and gave them a really decent workout. With the convenience of Airport, I'd waste way too much time/money at hotspots. I tend to use kid gloves a little more with my 15". Maybe that'll change as it gets worn in a bit more ;)

5. CramSoup macrumors member

I told my girlfriend that the 12PB i just bought will be hers "when" the new G5 PB comes out (when ever that will be)!!! So.... I covered my next PB too !

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I'll add my thumbs up to that too. It goes everywhere (almost at least).

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I just got my first PowerBook a week ago (after a short 3-month stint with an iBook G4) and I would have to agree. My iBook, even though it was only a *tiny* bit larger, and a *tiny* bit heavier makes me wonder "Why does a computer have to be any bigger than this?". The 12" PB is almost perfect. The right size, and on top of that, it has everything built-in! It's truly mobile, and it's amazing what a difference that can make.

( :eek: I just wish I could have a *tiny* bit more built-in screen resolution, but it's not keeping me from enjoying it!)

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yeah i feel exactly the same about my 15 inch.... coupled with airport and bluetooth mouse it is just simply fantastic.....

you can take it to the park when being in the house is just to much... or go for a coffee and browse the net ( huthum i mean do serious work )

i dont think there is much these days that you can on a desktop that a powerbook cnt handle....

ok i admit this reply was useless to you question,,,but i hope it makes you buy the best little ( yet powerful) machine no life extention you ever did see

9. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Wow...

I watch "School of Rock" (which featured a bunch of Macs, by the way) and come back to see a bunch of replies. Thanks.

So, portability without the sacrifices is the recurring theme here. I'll try that on her. I don't know how the "chicks dig it" reason will go over, but very good reason nonetheless.

Ok, now assuming the screen real estate (or lack thereof) isn't a problem for me, can you think of any reasons to NOT go with the 12" PB? I know they get hot, but any other minor hassles with them?

Thanks, again.

Squire