Top 5 games for a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Games' started by odedia, Apr 23, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi!

What would you recommend as the best games to run on my MBP? I am looking for games to run under OS X, not Windows. I'm very new to the Mac world and I don't know which games are working good on the intel macs, especiall on the MBP.

Thanks!

Oded S.

2. macrumors regular

I know I keep recommending it, but World of Warcraft runs great :)

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

Any other recommendations?

Oded S.

4. macrumors 68000

Half-Life 2 (and thus all the other stuff like CS:S, DOD:S, etc)

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, it's been ages since I played PC games, what's those initials mean? I'm guessing CS:S has something to do with counter strike?

Thanks again.

Oded S.

6. macrumors G4

dmw007

I really enjoy playing Quake 4 and Doom 3 on my Power Mac G5. :)

I also enjoy playing Sim City 4 and any of the Command & Conquer series (but I have only tested these games on Windows). :)

7. macrumors 68000

CounterStrike: Source and Day Of Defeat: Source (HL2 uses the Source engine, hence all the Half-Life 1 mods got upgraded to use Source as well)

8. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your problem is a lot of games do NOT and will NOT be made into universal binary form.

Quake 4 just released and COD2 in a month or two time are very good FPS (well COD2 is v.good, Quake 4's a bit on the average side) and both are universal and will run very well on your MBP

Sim 2 is universal and plays well on your machine.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 is a great game with a crap mac port and very poor peformance on intel macs. A universal patch is rumored but not 100% confirmed, and certainly wont be out for a couple of months yet.

SimCity 4 is buggy as hell and they havent and are not going to release patches for it.

Warcraft 3 and Command & Conquer Generals are v.good stratergy titles and should perform very well on your speced machine even though they arent universal.

World Of Warcraft is love/hate. You will either get into it or wont and remember its subsription based so it's gonna cost you alot more that the retail box price....

---------------

I resigned myself to playing Windows on my intel iMac because the games I have run so so much better and choice and price difference is considerable.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 and it's 2 expansions run very well on it,
    The Movies is a great stratergy game and so is Black & White 2. Both of which run excelently.

And then there's FEAR, HalfLife 2 (& Halflife 2 Aftermath v.soon) for some of the best FPS games around.....

9. macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

It really depends on your taste. It is fairly old but Halo works fantastically. Try Command and Conquer, Quake 4, Battlefield 1942 and True Crime. This is just my taste though

10. macrumors G4

dmw007

Almost forgot- Halo is also a great game to play (I don't have it for Mac, but I love to play it on my Xbox :) ).

11. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I was going to make a smart ass install Windows comment until I reread your post (just to make sure of what you said) :cool:

12. macrumors 601

eXan

Unreal Tournament 2004
    Starcraft :)

13. macrumors newbie

if you like games like the sims, tropico pirate cove 2 is great. its not in UB, but I have an intel Imac and it runs perfect under rosetta.

14. macrumors regular

I second the above two games. I love UT2004!!

15. macrumors 6502

Is there any games that dont run on the mac?

I would be picking up a mac for the windows side of things and the mac as a SMALL secondary. Not sure if this is the right place to write, but are there any games that dont work?

16. macrumors 65816

mark!

SIMS 2. It's great :)