Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hector said:
cue every sub top 50 poster posting flaimbait after every post i make.
I'm sorry if you felt like I was personally attacking you... I would have made that same post if anyone else had posted in the same manner.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Hector said:
it's more the in the top 50 or not, it's not like i'm "involved" it's just not much effort to stay in.

Just think, if you hadn't left in a huff that time, you'd probably be in no danger of falling out the top 50. :p

Like it really matters - I mean the site would be really boring if only the top 50 posters were considered worthwhile. Looking through the current list, many of the most entertaining posters aren't in there.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
devilot said:
I'm sorry if you felt like I was personally attacking you... I would have made that same post if anyone else had posted in the same manner.

Exactly, no need to take things too seriously - especially on an Internet Forum of all places!

P.S. Can somebody tell me what "flaimbait" is? :p :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Applespider said:
Just think, if you hadn't left in a huff that time, you'd probably be in no danger of falling out the top 50. Like it really matters - I mean the site would be really boring if only the top 50 posters were considered worthwhile. Looking through the current list, many of the most entertaining posters aren't in there.

i'd have to agree with you on that one. look at me. i'm boring! probably the lamest MR member in fact. its a number, a statistic. aren't we all numbers in the real world enough as it is, why strive to be another one here. it doesn't really matter. :confused:

Salasm

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
surrounded by mods
People who write "i'm leaving" threads and call everyone idiots in the process should never show their faces in the respective forum ever again. I have little respect for people like them.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i think i said "you'd be retarded to think this" then a bunch of people said they did

>_>

Applespider

macrumors G4
Doctor Q said:
This is my 12345th post.

Does this mean that if someone can do something clever like posting a 500 letter post or a 500 words one spelling out their username in lights when they reach 500 posts, it will be allowed? :p

I did giggle at this earlier today - got a few odd looks in the office though since I'd just come out of a very long, spreadsheety meeting.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
devilot said:

it was a joke, people always take me far too seriously.

hell thats why i was pissed off before, everyone takes everything like it's life or death, being in the top 50 is a pleasantry nothing more, it doesn't make me cleverer or more valid than anyone elce, the factual quality of my posts do and generally i'm right on the mark, no ones even argued with me in a while.

and as for salasm if you correctly read the wording of every word I wrote nothing inflammatory is brought against anyone unless you know you've posted like a moron to me, or you are plain incapable of grasping the concept that when i state a reason such as "morons pissing me off" (i cant remember how a phrased it and i cant find the thing so I'm playing it safe) that's not everyone, I did not call wintermule a moron or even dont hurt me who I argue with allot, or even the amd fanboys i used to have epic thread long arguments with but those that post things as fact which are clearly false and do it again and again, at that point for me the forum was stale bar a few people (few as in 80-100, I'm speaking relatively) answering the same old questions dismissing the same old myths, this was not a good use of my time and my schoolwork (or lack of it) was suffering. somehow a few people (about 5-6) took offense to this and i bare no grudge. I returned partly due to the very rapid increase of activity which means interesting threads are created far more often and their were a far greater number of 6502's and above which tend to keep a better posting record to keep their rep clean and the fact that it only takes me about two hours a week work to stay at the top of my game at school.

I meant everything i said at the time and i mean everything now heck even if I called you all morons and left in an actual huff, (their was no huffing) sometimes people have bad days/weeks/years/decades I don't share my personal life with you so don't judge me on situations you are not privy to, Judge not that ye be not judged.

naturally some of you are going to take offense to this for some reason or another unknown to me, so let me clarify, I don't nor never have held ill will to anyone that i have argued with or disagreed with in any way as long as they argue back in a logical and inoffensive way, or anyone elce for that matter, it takes one of three things to piss me off 1) judgeing me on things you know nothing about 2) stating something then refusing to back it up logically when i challenge it 3) mocking of my dyslexia.

Without people like dont hurt me and others forums would be a boring place. and as for wintermule I don't think i've ever posted in the same thread as him so i have no idea what his hostile reaction was about.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
PlaceofDis said:
aren't we all numbers in the real world enough as it is
Yes, isn't it great? :)

Applespider said:
Does this mean that if someone can do something clever like posting a 500 letter post or a 500 words one spelling out their username in lights when they reach 500 posts, it will be allowed? :p
I'm sure that somewhere in the rules it says that wacky post# stunts are permitted once every 12345 posts.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Applespider said:
Like it really matters - I mean the site would be really boring if only the top 50 posters were considered worthwhile. Looking through the current list, many of the most entertaining posters aren't in there.

Exactly. One of my favorite must-read forum members has just over 900 posts... some others who I ignore have many times that.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i've never liked to ignore anyone, anyone who pisses me off is more than likely to be new, and after a while they tend to grow up a bit so theirs no point in ignoreing them.

no big names come to mind in annoyance, bar one who shall not be named, but thats from a nikon Vs canon flame war.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Hector said:
i've never liked to ignore anyone...

When I say 'ignore', I don't mean on my ignore list, there's no-one on that... it's just that I don't bother reading their posts and rarely if ever enter into discussion with them.

Post count means absolutely nothing.

The qualities that personally attract me are substance, wit, a different or unique but clearly-expressed view, a genuine interest and some compassion when discussing other's problems, and a willingness to be candid about their own lives without relentless attention-seeking.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
when i'm candid people shout at me especially when it's about myself, so i try not to be, i'm also way too jaded about others problems, maybe it's because people complain about stuff to me all day long and i'm just sick of it.

people that have over 500 posts tend to care more about their personal image, if some newbie says something insightfull i'm not going to discount them for not having a requisite number of posts, when say something like people who piss me off are generally new i'm not saying all newbies piss me off or that i love everyone with an avatar it's a statistical observation.

one thing that bugs me is when people are overly fair, like say a statistician states that homeless people on average have a 20% lower IQ than the national average, people are going to bitch and whine at him for saying that homeless people are stupid or that "i know this bum which writes poetry" or whatever, it's a trend and should not be taken as a generalization, the fact people dont like it or that it makes out like non homeless people arr better than the homeless is entirely up to the reader what you make of a statistical observation is your own doing, it's foolish to write anyone off based on ANY statistics or trends or past experiences, observations and actions are two very different things. and you can't judge one as implying the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.