Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Doctor Q , I can't remember whether I asked this before, but the post count numbers you use for this do not include PRSI posts, right? PRSI is generally excluded from post counts on profiles. I know some posters there post a LOT, so it would be really interesting to see how the numbers fell with that included. And since I post almost exclusively in PRSI these days, I know my post count is way different.

As far as I know, neither the PRSI nor the Marketplace posts are included in an individual's post total. There may be one or two other areas that are also excluded from the total when calculating post totals - perhaps some of the promo sections of the forum.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
@Doctor Q , I can't remember whether I asked this before, but the post count numbers you use for this do not include PRSI posts, right? PRSI is generally excluded from post counts on profiles. I know some posters there post a LOT, so it would be really interesting to see how the numbers fell with that included. And since I post almost exclusively in PRSI these days, I know my post count is way different.
PRSI and a few other forums are not counted in the totals. But you can look on the Areas tab of your profile and see a count for all forums you post in. https://forums.macrumors.com/members/samiwas.81536/

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It may have already been mentioned somewhere, but in case it hasn't, I'd like to congratulate maflynn on becoming the top MR poster, which I'm sure happened a few days ago. Thanks for all you contribute to the MR forum!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It may have already been mentioned somewhere, but in case it hasn't, I'd like to congratulate maflynn on becoming the top MR poster, which I'm sure happened a few days ago. Thanks for all you contribute to the MR forum!

It was, (and, I believe by your old self, no less) but it is still an impressive achievement, especially when taken that this has taken place on top of a fully lived life with concomitant commitments (such as a job, close ties with a family, acquiring a black belt……)

Thank you GGJ, but I assume that record will be broken by someone else. :)

Not for quite a long time yet, I'd imagine.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
This is always one of the most interesting threads of each year -- the two six-month lists of extrapolated top 50 posters! Numbers are not my thing and usually when confronted with statistics my eyes tend to glaze over, but this information is always so interesting I can't resist seeing it each time!

I first started reading MR back in the early autumn of 2005; I was away from home for an (unexpected) extended time and using someone else's computer temporarily while my own Windows machine was sitting at home. Somewhere along the way a friend emailed me burbling with excitement about the new iMac (G5 rev B) she'd just bought and how much she loved it, how superior it was to her old Windows machine. I thought, "huh.....gee I hope she hasn't made a terrible mistake!" I looked online to learn a little more about Macs, as my exposure to them was limited and I only had vague ideas about them. Of course I found MR and started reading the various posts and threads. I was surprised, because I'd genuinely thought I'd find a forum where everyone was complaining about this, that and the other on their machines and that wasn't the case at all. Gee, these people really LOVED their Macs?

I returned home a few weeks later and discovered that my Windows machine, which had already started showing some problems even before I'd left, was not especially cooperative as I tried to get things up and running again. It was annoying and frustrating. I was still reading MR and one day I ventured over to the mall to the Apple store. The experience was less than helpful, as the saleswoman insisted on showing me everything rapid-fire instead of letting me just have some time to tinker with the machines myself. I went home, still not knowing a whole lot more about what made the Mac system that much better than Windows. My friend was still talking about how much she loved her new Mac. I'd already determined that apparently she hadn't made some terrible mistake after all, and my curiosity was definitely aroused by this point. A trip to Microcenter one afternoon was far more productive than the Apple store experience, as there was no one in the Apple department to bother me as I sat down and looked at each machine, played with each machine, figured out what happened when I did "x" and what happened when I did "y." Came home mulling things around in my head, especially as I was still wrestling with the old Windows machine.

To make a long story short, by this time I had a few questions and it was then that I joined MR, using a name which reflected my current state of mind at that time: "On the Brink." LOL! I kept reading, asked questions, read some more..... Then there was the keynote in which Steve announced the new G5 iMacs with the first built-in iSight camera. A thought flashed through my mind: "oh, I don't need any camera in there -- I like that other model just fine!"

BOOM!!! That was it. The next day I went to the Apple store and bought my first Mac, the G5 rev B iMac. :)

Eventually I changed my user name and became a Demi-goddess and have been hanging around here ever since. Sometimes I post more extensively than at other times, depends upon what's going on. I definitely have noticed changes through the years since 2005 -- the switch to Intel, the iPhone, etc., etc..... This community isn't quite the same as it was in the early days, but it is certainly still flourishing and is still a valuable resource for anyone who is contemplating buying or using a Mac.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I have over 11,000 PRSI posts. Would move me to #3 if they were counted.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
What is the rational for excluding them? I think any post here should count.

I've always wondered the same thing. They don't show up in someone's post count, but if you click "show all posts from so-and-so", it shows them in a list. Maybe they don't include them because PSRI invites so many posts in those long debates they think it's not fair to actual participation in Apple events or something. Maybe add a second count after like samiwas: 1,378 (8,265).

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Im paraphrasing here, but I seem to remember reading that it was decided that PRSI (and the Marketplace for that matter) were not akin to the main purpose of the forums as a whole, rather an added extra. As such the decision makers at the time decided that posts in these forums would not count towards membership goals (user titles) / benefits.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Im paraphrasing here, but I seem to remember reading that it was decided that PRSI (and the Marketplace for that matter) were not akin to the main purpose of the forums as a whole, rather an added extra. As such the decision makers at the time decided that posts in these forums would not count towards membership goals (user titles) / benefits.

That is what I had thought the position was, too, with regard to the Marketplace and PRSI.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I've always wondered the same thing. They don't show up in someone's post count, but if you click "show all posts from so-and-so", it shows them in a list. Maybe they don't include them because PSRI invites so many posts in those long debates they think it's not fair to actual participation in Apple events or something. Maybe add a second count after like samiwas: 1,378 (8,265).

Hehehe, there are some posters who have under 250 posts that 'count' but over 12,500 posts in PRSI!

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hehehe, there are some posters who have under 250 posts that 'count' but over 12,500 posts in PRSI!

Yeah, I remember one poster who joined in March, and made one post that day. He was dormant for the next 9 months. Over the following month, he racked up the 100 posts needed to enter PRSI. In less than three weeks, he had posted almost 500 times in PRSI (and nowhere else) with all kinds of right-wing screed before presumably being banned, because he just disappeared. It's crazy what you find about people's post counts when you go beyond the "official" number.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, I remember one poster who joined in March, and made one post that day. He was dormant for the next 9 months. Over the following month, he racked up the 100 posts needed to enter PRSI. In less than three weeks, he had posted almost 500 times in PRSI (and nowhere else) with all kinds of right-wing screed before presumably being banned, because he just disappeared. It's crazy what you find about people's post counts when you go beyond the "official" number.

I imagine that the guy in question is not the only one.

Well, there appear to be a certain number of members whose chief source of forum activity is the PRSI forum. For them, the task - or the challenge is to amass sufficient posts to reach 100. Quite often, subsequently, they may hardly post anywhere else.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
There are a number of names in the Top 50 whom I have never seen online; but it is equally clear that - at some stage - a number of them were extraordinarily prolific posters in the early days. For a variety of reasons, many of them have left or are no longer actively involved in the community.

However, I am a lot more familiar with the names on the second and third lists - most of whom I recognise.
As one who doesn't participate as much, I recognize most on the first and a fair amount on second but not much on the 3rd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.