Top court upholds no-knock police search

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 15, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

"if you haven't done anything wrong, then there's no reason for you to worry if the police search your house"...

right????

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

some 10 years ago, my apartment was robbed while i was out of town. a detective came over to take a statement, and he saw what he thought was a bullet capper in my kitchen. it is actually a device for bottle capping (i used to brew beer).

i was then able to explain my CO2 system, which also raised his suspicions, though he hadn't said anything about that. i'd hate to think, these days, what a detective would do with such mistaken assumptions.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Err.. so what happens when someone thinks they're are being quietly robbed and goes to defend themselves...

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Once again, "strict constructionism" at work. The text of the Constitution doesn't say anything about knocking.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That was my first thought. However, on my second thought I realized that it's a logical fallacy. When the police enter, they'll still need to announce themselves. They just won't knock and wait for the alleged criminals to let them in.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

It's not as if the knock does any good now....knock...police...BAM!!...down goes the door.

Oh well.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Now i wont be surprised if a few cops get killed when someone sitting at home thinks someone has just broken into their house by knocking the door down, and decides to go to the door with a gun.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

See Post #6.;)

Again, the cops aren't just going to come in and not yell out, "Police! Get on the ground! I said get on the ground! *tackle* I told you to get on the ground! *kicks weapon away*" :D

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The Police state marches on, this is clearly a violation of the Constitution and the Supreme Court is wrong. Govt is stripping away all the safeguards the founding fathers put into it to protect the people from an overpowering govt.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

In and of itself, you wouldn't think much about it. But as with the rest of this stuff, it tells a larger story. At least they still have to get warrants. :rolleyes:

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think a big part of this story is the position of Justice Alito. He was prepared to overlook decades of court precedent to vote as he did on this case. Remember how deferential he was to "settled law" when he was interviewed by the Senate during his confirmation hearings?

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if i ever have to hear scalito say "stare decisis" ever again i'm going to punch myself. repeatedly

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not to mention, wouldn't that be a classic example of judicial activism, had Justice Stevens been the deciding vote (and assuming he survived the rat poison).

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He'd probably enjoy that. Very much.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So what happens in floriduh if police break in unannounced and you shoot them?

Both parties are in the right now...self defense and unannounced entry. :eek:

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

for the survivors: guns at dawn.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats beauracracy at its finest.

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I wouldn't blame anyone if a cop busted down a door without trying to gain access properly and shot and killed them. Here in Colorado, we have the Make My Day law which is really nice. I'll be buying a gun within the next year and should someone break into my apartment, so sorry charlie, they're going down.

20. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Dubya with his crayon scratches out another Amendment in the Bill of Rights.

EDIT:

Found a picture he drew to celebrate.

[​IMG]

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats some scary stuff but is what they are doing to this document. They are turning it into nothing so the people will be ripe for the next dictator. Both parties are to blame through the years but the final result will be the same.

22. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I think at some point we'll snap out of it and stop letting our rights get trampled. I just hope that it's soon..... otherwise people will get used to not having the rights that they once had

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I keep waiting for that straw that breaks the camel's back.