Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hi,

I posted earlier that the mic in FaceTime stopped working for me the other day.

I've just discovered that any video recorded on my iPhone over the last few days has no audio except for a low hissing sound.

On Christmas Night, the iPhone fell and may have hit concrete - I thought it only hit the carpet as I didn't hear it fall.

It was a one in a million chance that it fell where it did in a gap in the carpet and I only had a stupid plastic cover on it as my regular cover was very dirty and grimy - plastic one only went around the side and did not cover any part that had buttons, like the top.

Does it sound to you guys like the mic is broken?

Could something be done?

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
You can check, just go to the voice recorder app and record some voice. If its working there then your mic is working and something else is wrong.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
You can check, just go to the voice recorder app and record some voice. If its working there then your mic is working and something else is wrong.

Thanks for responding, Greencardman.

I had already tested the Voice memo app and it worked fine, so I assumed that it only used the bottom mic.

Also,

FaceTime and the Video Camera both record sound with the earphones plugged in but not without them.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
My mistake. It looks like you're right: http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheiphone/ss/Anatomy-Of-Iphone-4.htm

Odd that it records with the earphones in. Are they original apple earphones with a mic, or is it switching to the bottom mic? If they're apple headphones, I'm guessing its switching to the headphone mic. You can test by whispering in each one and see which records your voice.

If its your headphones that start recording, then yeah, I'd say your top mic took a hit.
If you're a DIY-er, the repair is doable but pretty complicated. One of the more annoying ones to do as pretty much everything near the top of the phone needs to come out.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
My mistake. It looks like you're right: http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontotheiphone/ss/Anatomy-Of-Iphone-4.htm

Odd that it records with the earphones in. Are they original apple earphones with a mic, or is it switching to the bottom mic? If they're apple headphones, I'm guessing its switching to the headphone mic. You can test by whispering in each one and see which records your voice.

If its your headphones that start recording, then yeah, I'd say your top mic took a hit.
If you're a DIY-er, the repair is doable but pretty complicated. One of the more annoying ones to do as pretty much everything near the top of the phone needs to come out.

Hi Greencardman,

Yes, they are Apple Earphones with the mic.

I have a look on ifixedit and I'd be confident about being able to open the iPhone up and get it back together.

However, I wouldn't be 100% that I could diagnose the problem unless it is glaringly obvious.

And ifixedit don't seem to stock a spare part that would replace the mic.

Any suggestions?

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Yeah, its a tough one. You pretty much need to remove the guts of the phone to do it and then make sure you transfer all your buttons, etc. A real pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.