top most level <computername> folder in right side of dock?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chaos86, Mar 3, 2005.

1. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

you know that folder in the finder where you see all your drives plus network which is named whatever your computer is named and has an icon that looks like an iMac g4 (for some reason). well i want it in the right side of my dock like any other folder, but i cant find anywhere to drag it from. anyone know where theres a place to drag it from or how to make my own alias for it?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

open terminal. Its in Application-utilities. Then write
    open /volumes
    you will see the 'volumes' folder in the finder. Drag in to the space besides trash.

cheers

3. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

thanks both of you, that worked kinda.
    the only problem is in the dock, when you ctrl click the new icon to get the menu you can move out through folders on the hard drive but not on cds. the cd shows up, but just as an alias. any work around?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think MacWorld had an article about this a few months back... I'll see if I can dig it up. Essentially, you have to write a cronjob that scans for removable media and lists it in the dock folder... there's no way to get the computer to display removable media in the dock otherwise, even by dropping the Volumes folder in the dock.