Top $$ movies of all time, Finding Nemo!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mcarnes, May 26, 2005.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interesting - here is a site that includes a list adjusted for inflation. Of course, I don't know if ticket prices keep up with or exceed inflation, so it may not be the best indicator, but it's probably a little better.

On the adjusted list, Star Wars is #2 after Gone With the Wind. Finding Nemo is #61.

As for how much Steve gets, I have no idea. But I'm sure he's not hurting...

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Titanic: $1,845,034,188

Almost two billion?

With a freaking "b?

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Interesting list there. Thanks for posting that.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Everytime I see a list like that and see Titanic at the top I just cringe and try and figure out why.....

but there is no logical explanation....

D

6. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I was a projectionist when that movie came out. I've done that job off and on for fun since I was 18. Let me tell you, from about the third month to the eighth month it was 95% teen age girls lined up to see that movie. They saw it over and over and over. The print was a wreck by the time it finally left our theater (not to mention it was interlocked for the first couple month).

That movie tapped into the "Mary-Kate and Ashley" crowd as we came to call them. Leonardo is who they came to see...

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

No kidding, I was forced to watch that movie and thinking "would you sink already." Gives new meaning to "I'm king of the world."

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Titanic was amazing!

On second thought, that was Spiderman... Meh...

It's hard to see what movie is the highest grossing of all time because of the inflation factor and the fact that there's no single good way of measuring this. As time goes by, movies get cheaper relative to other forms of entertainment such as theatre because of the competition and advances in technology. More people are likely to see movies on a regular basis if they are cheaper. Also, the higher population of today generally makes for fuller cinemas and higher earnings.

In other words, it's too difficult to compare old with new when it comes to movie earnings.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, turns out the US theater gross was just the tip of the iceberg.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Steve bought Pixar from George Lucas. Pixar is now the most successful movie studio of all time, a perfect 5 for 5 record. Steve and George are similar in ways.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Some parts of that inflation list don't make sense. How did ROTK (edit: Sorry non-nerds, I meant Lord of the Rings: Return of the King :eek: ) make less money than Shrek 2 on that list? Was inflation THAT high in 2004 compared to 2003? :confused:

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

It's really hard to say what movie(s) make the most since when I went to see The Matrix Reloaded the ticket price was $7.00 at the top theater in the area. Now when I went to see Star Wars Revenge of the Sith last week that same theater price was $8.50 but is that price diff. really inflation? I think they should just go by the #'s and not $$'s since big cities charge way more than your average towns, cities in the same states. But that said all that money is really just a part of a larger picture---DVD rentals and so on...

13. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Didn't you know?! There was a 26% inflation from 2003 to 2004.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If you adjust for inflation, GWTW would take top spot as the biggest money maker of all time. Titanic has the most of any modern day movie, but I think ROTS has a chance to come close, but it'll definitely surpass TPM.

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Inflation doubles every ten years. On average at least. What causes inflation? I know, but does anyone else know?

16. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Hot air?

17. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i hate titanic...not that it was a bad movie (it was), but because i had to watch like so many times...ugh THE HORROR

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Instead of adjusting for inflation, can they adjust for average movie ticket prices?

Or better yet, just use the number of people who bought a ticket.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But you've still got issues with population size and the relative expense of a ticket. Fifty years ago, a movie was much more of a luxury so of course not nearly as many people went.

20. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

But also fewer people are going to cinema now then they did 15-20 years ago because of DVD. Unless it is something they really want to see, they just wait for the DVD.

Too many factors, so it just goes back to gross earnings.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Exactly, but then we're back to where we started - an unfair tool for measurement. :(

22. iGary Guest

iGary

Steve bought Pixar from Lucas for $10 million dollars after an original asking price of $30 million. The hitch is, Jobs has to share any software developments and technology with Lucas for life.

I believe he owns 60%, although I'll have to check into iCon, the book I have been recommending, to be sure.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Figure of the 800M half went to the theaters. Of that half, half went to Disney for promotion and distribution. Of Pixar's 200 Million they probably spent 50 making the think. Leaving Steve getting 60% of 150M or about 90M. Most of that money is just increased value of Pixar since I don't believe it currently has a dividend.

24. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I still think it’s ridiculous that Titanic is still #1. Actually as much as it pains me to say this I don’t expect to ever see anything take it down as #1. Why? Simple.
    The studios rush to get a movie out on video ASAP as soon as sales fall. So take Revenge of the Sith? There is talk of a 11/05 release for the movie on DVD. Anyone who doesn’t want to see it in the theatre simply has to wait 6 months. Titanic was still in the VHS tape era. I think it was close to a YEAR before Titanic came out on VHS. DVD’s hadn’t taken off.
    They had the perfect storm for taking the #1 spot. The advertised the crap out of it, they had a movie that catered to adults, and love struck teenaged girls who got hot thinking about Leeeeeeo, they had a big name behind the lens, they released it right where there wasn’t anything major coming out, and then they rerelease it again in the winter when NOTHING was out, oh and did I mention they had an insanely large marketing blitz?
    It was an OK movie but it sure as HELL didn't deserve the #1 spot.

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Titanic spent 13 weeks at number 1 at the box office. That's pretty unreal. A lot of it was repeat business. There was a news report one old lady attending the screening every day for like 3 months. You may not like it, but the story does touch a woman's heart in a way we'll never fully understand. I think it found the formula to make $600 million in North America alone.