Top new laptop 15" doesn't close properly

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by martinchaoss, Dec 30, 2003.

1. martinchaoss macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2003
    I bought a new laptop and got it today. The first thing I noticed is the top which has more space on the left as on the right.

I called my dealer and he says it's normal.

I understand that the top doens't fit excactly tight, but is it normal that it has a margin of one mm at the right side and then three at the left?

What do you think?
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Is it purely cosmetic? Or does it cause the latch to stick, not lock, the keys to hit the screen, etc. If it's only cosmetic, "it's fine" is the best you'll get from Apple; if it's a functional issue, they will replace or repair it for you.

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Just look at the front of the black box the Powerbook came in doesn't the photo of latch show a nice warped top :D
  4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    As I understand it, all of the new powerbooks have a slightly bowed top (the LCD housing). Mine certainly does.

I've heard a lot of speculation regarding the reason for this, but nothing definitive. However it doesn't appear to be a problem as far as I know.
  5. goundry macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2004
    my new Ali 15" 1.5 is also warped

Strange to find this is an otherwise beautiful design. not great but it appears only to be cosmetic. i get about 1mm on left and 3mm on right. hoo hum!
  6. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    It's not just the new ones and it's not just the 15-inch...even in the Apple Store, the old AlBooks have the same problem. It's because the closing device isn't sturdy enough. Apple needs to move the magnetic latch to the left and right sides of the 15-inch PowerBook (so there are two of them).

What I wonder is why your computer was like that right out of the box. It's definately something Apple should take into consideration the next time they redesign their PowerBook line.