top of the line iBook or bottom barrel PBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cyks, Apr 19, 2004.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    With the edu discount... I can get either the 14", 1.2Ghz iBook or the 12" 1.33Ghz PBook for the same price ($1399). I don't need the SuperDrive or "extras"- other then the pre-built-in AE on both choices.... (I already have a desktop for burning and real power) and I'm on a severe budget... otherwise the 15" PB is beautiful. (as it is, I was hoping to only spend $1200 or so- oh well)...
    I basically need this for travel- web, e-mail, and such... and for "light" photoshop/3d work (so I can sit at Borders or Starbucks and let the inspiration hit me...rather then at home and try to force it ;) )

Anyone have ideas? Or should I just forgo the idea, save for another few months and go for the 15"?
  2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    you have a powerful desktop (with a nice big screen I imagine)? Then your choice is clear. The powerbook. It sounds like what you want is something small and portable to take around with you. Nothing fits that bill better than the 12" powerbook.

but even besides that, the PB has faster a processor, faster bus, faster RAM, DVI out, twice the video memory, BTO 5400 RPM HD if you want it... am I forgetting anything? If anyone can make a case for the ibook, I'd love to hear it...
  3. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Unless you really think you're going to notice the difference in screen size, I agree that you might as well go for the Powerbook for the same price--though you need to sneak in a little extra cash there and make sure the RAM is up to 512--on either.

Your primary reason for the laptop seems to be a desire for portability, and nothing is more portable than the 12" pb. At 4.6 pounds, it won't weigh down your book bag and it's small footprint is perfect for those tiny coffee tables--with room to spare for a cup of coffee! Further, its now got a great screen to display that creative photoshop work.

The only case for the iBook is longer battery life--About an extra hour on average--and a tougher shell. The Powerbooks *do* dent if dropped. The iBooks are bomb proof. So if you think you're going to be reckless and rough with the laptop, then you probably want the iBook. Powerbooks should be treated tenderly and with respect :cool: