Top Secret Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shrimpdesign, Aug 7, 2006.

1. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Did anyone else notice all the holes in the preview today? Like, for instance, "We're going to update Front Row." .... and? Nothing? No preview? Same thing with PhotoBooth... and they barely touched on iCal.

And the videos on the Leopard preview site ... they seem to be side-stepping some things. Like in the Spaces video, they don't talk about how you move from space to space ... they mention a funtcion key, and then no more. I mean, if Spaces is controlled by function keys... that'll be one to move forward, one to move back, one to show them all ... that's three function keys. And it get's it's prefs in "Dashboard and Dock" prefs?

I think that Apple is keeping a lot secret .. I have a feeling that they stripped down Leopard for the dev preview. I think they have much more up their sleeve.

Oh, and as a side note... how do you think they knock out the background in iChat without a blue screen? Is it based on motion? Maybe the isight can tell what's close, and what's far away?
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    This isn't news, they upfront said they were keeping things secret during the keynote.
  3. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Yeah, I know. I was pointing it out for discussion.
  4. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
    Personally, I'm excited about the stuff they did show, like Mail and iChat. Oddly enough they are two of my favorite apps. :)

As for the top secret stuff, I am curious about the improvements added to "The Next-Generation" of Front Row because alot of people I know seem to not like it I'm not too big on it either so if they make it better by supporting all media that would be great! :D
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    personally, i think they havent finish those yet
  6. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    I think they have alot of this stuff top secret so MS can't steal it for Vista.

Everything (except Time Machine) is not very innovative and new. The real innovation is what is secret. We will have to wait until Spring. :(
  7. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    I really hope that "Spring" is a cautious date, and if on-track, Leopard would be released at MWSF. I really want Leopard now, even without the top secret stuff.

... but that's about $500 for the developer licence. :(

And i'm beginning to think that they only showed the features that are simply improvements, and not a completely new idea. I mean, think about it. If you had a competitor, and you didn't want them to copy stuff.. it would be much smarter to preview improvements rather than new features.
  8. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2005
    agreed. Unlike M$ that will release and say it isnt "feature full" yet, Apple chose to say some aspects are "Top Secret". Personally, I think some parts arent done yet. Remember, WWDC was moved back. THat means they needed more time for things like Leopard, Mac Pro, and XServe. A Late June/ Early July WWDC would have had nothing to show.
  9. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Even Time Machine is domewhat derivative. VMS systems (VAXen) used to keep versions of documents by appending a version number to the file every time you saved it twenty years ago, and Vista has a similar feature planned.

The implementation of Time Machine does seem superior to those previous implementations, but at the core it's a very old idea.

10. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2005
    Based SIMPLY on the Keynote, 10.5 doesnt seem like something I would buy as an upgrade to my 10.4 system. The "Top Secret" stuff MIGHT make it worth it if you have an Intel system, but I have a feeling "Top Secret" wont have much of an effect on G5 systems liek the one I have at home.
  11. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Independent resolution UI!! But I don't see how they could want to make the Top Secret. It's not like Microsoft can come out with something similar in such a short development cycle.

My guess it's a UI overhaul to Finder and some of other apps, that goes beyond cosmetic changes.
  12. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    As already stated, Apple is keeping many things top secret. Why wouldn't they? Vista and Leopard are going to be released pretty close together.

I am sure Apple was playing a few games today with the "Notes" and "To-Do" lists. Apple is trying to give MS a false sense of security!

When it comes to classified information, Apple is more secretive than the Pentagon. The only difference is Apple does it for the good of its people ;)
  13. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    I'd imagine that if they had to make a res-independant GUI, they'd update it a bit. Probably vector-based, very clean ... they don't want Redmond to see it, I bet.
  14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    We don't know what the "Top Secret" features are, because they're top secret. Which leads me to believe that we're not going to know what they are until we're told. It seems obvious, but I think it's how it's going to go.
  15. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    You are correct! When it comes to classified information, Apple is more secretive than the Pentagon. The only difference is Apple does it for the good of its people.

We only know one thing for sure, and that is Apple will not let us down!
  16. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    No. Apple pushed it back so MS wouldn't have time to copy.

But this plan didn't work. Vista got pushed back twice, and another major slip is still coming which will push Vista until the summer--at best.

That's why Apple did the whole "Top Secret" act.
  17. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    So what did Apple gloss over/ignore:

1. Spotlight Interface
    2. Revisions to Finder
    3. Photo Booth
    4. Front Row
    5. Leopard look and feel
    6. iCal/Addressbook
    7. Safari
    8. System wide features. (Help, for example, got a major update.)

And of course, there is still a wild card or two which no one will guess (e.g. Time Machine)

I think Apple still has a lot to share. The list above is certainly not short, and is far from comprehensive.
  18. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    It's called difference keying. You take a "snapshot" of a static background and then anything that comes into the frame to make it different is shown, and whatever's the same is keyed out.

I was playing with real-time difference keying on a Celeron 500 box running BeOS years ago. But it's nice to see Apple finally catching up. ;)
  19. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Do you think we'll see an update in January MWSF?

I think finder GUI has to change. We already see iChat with an updated GUI in the preview so lets hope this is a move too get the whole of the OS unified.

Plus, will expose work within each individual space - there was no mention of this?
  20. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Oh, way smart! I guess that means if you have a laptop, you have to put it on a steady surface and not move it for this to work ...

Man, I keep hearing about BeOS and features that it had that are just coming into OS X/Windows now.
  21. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Maybe I'm reaching, but the Accessibility section of the Leopard Preview website says "improved QuickTime support will automatically display the CEA-608 closed captioning text standard in analog broadcasts in the U.S."

The question is whether Apple plans on incorporating the means of acquiring these analog broadcasts into Leopard, or if it'll be left to third parties like Elgato. This also might be why FrontRow wasn't showed.

Again I could be reaching.
  22. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    Easy enough with a still photograph. How about with moving footage?
  23. uchuff macrumors member

Mar 25, 2006
    At the start of the demo the guy presenting ducked out of the way for a few seconds so that ichat could take a reference shot of the background.
  24. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    I meant, you can't move the iSight ( and therefore, the notebook) because then the snapshot of the background would not line-up with the slightly-different background from the moved camera.
  25. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    They are probably top secret because a) they have links to new hardware apple will release b)so microsoft can not copy them, the refinements that could be top secret may be quite easily modified in the vista version?