tore up my ankle. AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgargan1, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

So back in July I was playing basketball, and I landed on my foot awkwardly. Well I was wearing running shoes at the time, so needless to say I rolled it and tore the ligaments in my left ankle. (I even posted a thread about it). To this day, my left ankle keeps giving me trouble, and it's not as strong as my right, but i can do everything I could before, running, cutting, playing basketball just fine.

Well tonight, I was playing again... and this time i was wearing high-top basketball shoes for better ankle support. Well, surely enough I landed on my right ankle this time and did the same thing as i did 8 months ago. So, I'll be able to play basketball again in November. I can't wait!!

Somehow I wish that it were my left ankle again, just so I would have a good one!

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    OWWWW..... I can relate, having torn up my left ankle more than once. Watch out -- something to look forward to when you're older is arthritis because of this. Bleh! Had a bout of problems with my left ankle last spring, even though I had not sustained any further or new injuries to it.

Hey, you're in Fairfax? Hi, neighbor! I'm just down the road a piece from you, in Falls Church....

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've had similar ongoing issues with my knees. I know it sucks but if you look on the bright side, they act as a fuse. I haven't had any problems with hips or ankles simply because the knee is the weakest link and ends up giving way first. :cool:

4. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I know the feeling, I tore a muscle in my lower back playing cricket 6 months ago, just got back into it 2 months ago, and last week I tore it again. I'm out of bowling for a year now :(

I feel for you mate.

5. Cfg5 macrumors regular

Ouch, that sucks. I remember a few years back when I used to be a hardcore skateboarder I used to roll my ankle all the time. I don't think I ever messed them up so bad that I had to have an 8 month recovery but they were a pain in the ass.

I suggest, when you can, to do some ankle/foot exercises to strengthen your ankles so that a. you don't sprain them as easy, and b. you can actually play b-ball.

6. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Yup, i moved here from Montgomery County, Maryland in September of last year. It's really nice so far, a lot of young professionals... but the traffic is nothing to mess with. I DO NOT like 66!!

7. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Well, it's not like my right ankle was weak. Neither was the left when I rolled that one. But, I'm going to need to now. Something that helped me with my left ankle was laser therapy. It's actually how Terrell Owens recovered so quickly from his injury. Unfortunately, laser therapy doesn't fix attitude problems.

Seriously though, laser therapy works marvels...

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Ho, ho, tell me about it.... Yeah, the traffic on I-66 is murderous just about any time of day, and at rush hour it's totally insane. Luckily for me I don't have to use it during rush hour. Yes, in certain areas of FX Co there are a lot of young professionals setting up housekeeping and in the area extending beyond the "old city" of Fairfax, getting out around Fair Oaks Mall and the "Taj Mahal," there is a lot to do and there are many nice places to live.

Montgomery County feels entirely different for some reason, even though both counties are right up in there in terms of demographics and citizens' spending power.... I think that in some ways the traffic patterns are a little better in Montgomery County as there are more ways in which to get to your destination so everyone isn't all jammed up on the same major highway.

Fairfax County has it better in one way than Montgomery County, though: we are home of the first East Coast Apple Store (at Tysons) and it is bigger than the one at Montgomery Mall (nyah, nyah!).

That aside, glad you decided to cross the river and make Fairfax County your home! :)

9. Lau Guest

From the age of about 7 till 21 I was perpetually spraining both my ankles, and they were so weak I thought it would carry on forever, with me all rubber ankled. However, in the last few years they seem to have got stronger, and I haven't sprained them since then. If I go over on my ankle it hurts, but it's fine after a minute or so. So there's an element of hope - you may not be plagued forever!

You have my sympathy though - just thinking about sprained ankles make me go all cold. :(

10. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

thanks for the sympathy. I think i needed that

11. dxm113 macrumors member

I've broken, torn, dislocated, or sprained just about everything in my body at one point or another (from years of football, basketball, and baseball)

here's a pic of my dislocated ankle from a few years ago . . .

Attached Files:

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Wow, that's impressive! Did a right job on it, didn't you? Ouch!

13. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Oh man!! How the hell did you do to that?! Suddenly mine feels better. (no not really, but i'll stop complaining now)

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Your ankle sounds bad,

But it could be worse, you could have my ankle...or lack there of as now it is mosty made of metal.

The surgeon described it as "mush" after my ski injury. I had 20 screws just in my ankle...insane.

And a steel plate implanted up my shin.

It's been two and half years, and I still have a bit of a limp, and it still hurts every step.

Take care of your ankles People!

And to the original poster, be careful and consider some rehab.

:)

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I had a spiral (dna style) break of my right tibia, and broke the lower tibia through the ankle joint (the lil knob of bone on the inside of the ankle was on top of my foot).
    The first doc put screws in my tibia but made the goof of not putting the bones together first, and I thought the pain was healing!?! WRONG!
    Then when he put the ankle together he didn't get the parts evened up, you know, like where it should be. Like putting a big hunk of china plate glued 2cm out of wack.
    The second doc, almost had to amputate my right foot, and wanted me to get a lawyer after the first doc.
    I have lost most of the cartiledge in my right ankle, I take glucosamene and condrotin, to be able to walk. (spelling is terrible)
    I have total sympathy for anyone with ankle problems. The only thing worse to me is back problems.
    Becareful with your lil buddies, they are not replaceable and will be a mess when you get older if you abuse them.

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Sounds like a proprioception problem. You need a wobble board.