torn btwn two iPods.. need advice

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lifeisgood360, Jun 26, 2006.

1. lifeisgood360 macrumors newbie

hey guys

my 3G iPod 15gig is almost dead now.. 2-3 hrs of battery left.. i've been using it for like 3 years i think.. and now is the time to get a new iPod

a lot of my friends have the iPod nano and the video but both just don't suit me well.. i can't imagine myself watching videos on an iPod (cuz.. i just don't watch tv) and the iPod nano.. i've tried my friends but it's too small for me--i have difficulty scrolling and stuff

and i have a $50 credit thru the battery replacement for the 3G iPods and it seems like a perfect time to buy a new companion

i've been looking at the refurb apple store for a while and it seems like i'll choose from a 4 gb 2nd gen iPod mini which is $150-$50 so $100 OR the 4 G iPod color 20 gb which is $200-$50 so $150..

when i run i usually don't bring along my iPod so that really isn't a deciding factor for me..

any suggestions? thanks!

2. fatties macrumors regular

the ipod mini is sturdy... i've dropped mine countless times from the treadmill/ cross trainer/ just randomly and it still works. not sure about the ipod though as i have a 5g one. also colour is nice even though its like 'not in' but its just more exciting!

the only thing for me is that the ipod mini requires discipline to maintain 4gb (3.7 something really) of music and i like the idea of just chucking everything and anything into the bigger pod...

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Do tell more.

Why are you considering the color screen? Because of the storage or because you want to put photos on your 'pod? Or some other reason.

If you don't care about videos or pics, I would suggest getting a 4G w/out the color screen. You can get 20 gigs for about $100 on e-bay.

This link also takes you to a non-color (I think), refurbished 20 gig 'pod for a little more than $150.

4. lifeisgood360 thread starter macrumors newbie

4gb is more than enough for me. i doubt i can even fill 4 gigs in my life time haha

pure aesthetic reasons.. the color screen looks nice and i have a strange attraction to it being able to show album art =); i doubt i'll put photos on my iPod. but i don't think iwant a non-color 4G just b/c idk.. it seems like a minor upgrade from the 3G to the 4G (well at least to me)

so basically i'll compromise the 4G if it has a color screen despite the large size or buy the small and pretty iPod mini that is quite sturdy but without the color screen :p decisions decisions..

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You could get a new battery for it. It's easy to fit.

6. luckylisp macrumors 6502

If you somehow decide against the color screen, then I agree with Sesshi. You should just get a new battery and keep your 3G being that it still works well and would be the cheapest option. Especially since you're not interested in video and photos. Imo, I don't think getting rid of it solely to have color artwork is worth it really. The novelty of using the artwork feature will probably wear off soon and you might end up regretting getting rid of your 3G iPod.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think once you get used to them the Nano/5G is a superior user experience compared to a 3G. But a $30 expenditure will keep your iPod going probably for another couple of years if the battery is all that's wrong with it.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you sure you can use the coupon with the refurb store? I'm not sure and I don't have mine in front of me, but I know it doesn't work, for instance, on the educational prices...I wasn't sure if refurb is ok or not. But I'm curious cuz I should consider the same.... (I also have an aging 3G/15GB)

9. lifeisgood360 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah you can use it on the refurb store.. it says on the bottom of the letter you received where it can't be used (e.g. educational store)

thanks for the advice guys i decided against the 4G

so i'll prly go for the mini b/c it's smaller and hopefully less weight off

the reason i want to get a new one is b/c i might give it to a friend :eek:

10. Nye553 macrumors newbie

11. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

You want to sell me your 3G or perhaps trade for my shuffle!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=212163
    :D

...anyway, I think I would go for the ipod mini. The 4G is nice, but for a bit more you can get the video which is much sleeker. Good Luck in your decision.

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if they made a mini with a colour screen (or a Nano in an aluminium case), i would have it instead of a Video iPod. Out of those two, I would get the mini