Torn thermal blanket found on NASA Shuttle Atlantis

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aquajet, Jun 9, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

Uh-oh...

Oh boy. Let's hope it's not anything too major and they'll be able to successfully fix it if necessary. We all know what happened the last time something like this happened... :(

2. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You gotta love these scientists. They've counted 4000 pieces of hail and the inspection will start about 2:03 pm. They're so precise. It's a marvel every time the shuttle launches.

Before the Columbia was lost at re-entry I'm not sure they were aware of the damage to the heat shield. But now they know to look and the odds of them making it back safely increase 100 fold. If things are really bad they may send up another shuttle. Which to me, a space geek, would be a dream come true. All those artist renderings of two shuttles in orbit contructing a space station would be true.

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

But what if that shuttle had a heat shield problem! :eek:

4. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, oh no right? They do have some sort of epoxy that they fill in any cracks or holes with.

5. macrumors 603

Didn't this happen on the last two Discovery launches also? I bet it's happened on almost every mission, but they didnt start paying attention until after the Columbia disaster.

6. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

To some degree yes. The biggest problem is that NASA had to change the foam due to EPA regulations because it contained freon. The freon free foam is not nearly as good as the old stuff but NASA was denied an exception to the rule.

7. macrumors 6502

It's a bit disappointing and unfortunate that NASA hasn't developed the Orion until relatively recently. I know that budgetary restraints are the main problem for that, but still. They should also put a much greater emphasis on placing a research station on the moon; there would be less need to launch an expensive shuttle to resupply the station, or to perform space experiments.

8. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

oh no fox news

I love how they kinda emphasize russian computers.

;)