Tornados!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilentPanda, Apr 13, 2006.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Or is it tornadoes? I don't feel like looking it up...

This just went on a few hours ago... the Menards (large hardware/do it yourself store for those who don't have 'em) 2 miles away from where I live got it's roof torn off... oddly enough it didn't seem bad *at all* when I was on my back porch... just normal wind, rain, and some hail.

Meep!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I heard about the severe weather, and how hard hit Iowa was. I can understand how people like you can become desensitized to tornadic activity when you live in what's known as "Tornado Alley", a place where tornados are especially common.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I grew up in Tornado Alley and have no fear of them. However, my girlfriend's cousin is obsessedly frightened by them and lives in an area with little to no chance of tornadic activity. She cries everytime a lightening storm comes in. It's ridiculous. I feel like playing a recording of a tornaso siren on a boombox outside her bedroom window, but my girlfriend won't let me.:( :D

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to want to go chasing storms in America for 1 summer. Used to be really interested in them. Then one day I took the dog out, called on for a mate who lives ontop of a hill, overlooking pretty much all of the north west of England and bits of Wales. could see a lightning storm coming in but it was hovering above wales, thought it had at least 4 hours before it got here. I swear it was so calm, so warm, no wind. very eerie. made it to the top of his road before a massive slew of horizontal rain and hail hit us bang on. Turns out a tornado hit in the next village over. about half a mile away! been frightened of heavy rain on a warm day ever since. chances of another tornado hitting here is extremely low. but still!

5. tsvb macrumors 6502

Last night in Syracuse there was a crazy storm. We don't get tornado but my monitor shook a few times from the thunder.

6. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

One time there was a line of really bad thunderstorms here, and then all of a sudden everything got errie calm and quiet. The sky turned a strange and crazy weird green (a sign of a tornado) and you could see rotation in the sky. A tornado formed probably 5-10 minutes down the road we learned the next day. We didn't see it, and apparently it wasn't that big or lasted long, but man that gave me a scare :eek:

7. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I would like to become a storm spotter in my county. We have about a hundered certified HAM operators that coordinate everything. The problem is I have to be 21 before I'm allowed to actually spot. Since I'm only 18 I'd have to be located at a hospital or radio station. Also, I'm not sure if my dad would ever let me. He used to be a storm spotter and ended up within half a mile of an F5. He's never gone spotting again.

edit- here's the town he was located at.