Toronto Tourism tips

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jaffa Cake, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

This time next month, me and Miss Jaffa Cake will be on our way over to Toronto for a week-long break. Hurrah!

We've picked up a City Guide to give us a few pointers of which sights to see and where to head for tea, but we'd really appreciate any suggestions from any MRers who know the city (be it as residents or tourists) and could recommend some cool things to see and do that are a little off the beaten track.

Oh, and don't worry – I've already got a trip to the Yorkdale Apple Store pencilled in... ;)

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Taking a day trip down to Niagara Falls is a must...

I was a little disappointed by Toronto itself last time I visited but that was pre-Yorkdale and without the benefit of the MRboards to give advice on where to go ;)

3. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I misread that at first – I thought you were recommending a trip down the Niagara Falls... :eek:

Niagara Falls is all sorted – as part of the holiday deal we're off to the Falls and stopping in one of the hotels there. We're promised a 'Falls view', but given that in the brochure the view seems to be exactly the same from each different hotel I think a bit of Photoshopping has gone on... :rolleyes:

4. Lau Guest

I have no tips to give you at all, but can I just let it be known that I'm hugely jealous? Thank you. ;) :D

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Been a resident of Toronto for 10+ years, finally moved........yeah. :D

Not sure what interests you, like the theater, museum, art gallery, etc... you get the message......require more information. :)

Shopping = Eaton Centre and Yorkdale, there is a new shopping center I will posts it's name once I remember it.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Believe me there is nothing to be jealous about, the city is not all that great. I love Vancouver and Montreal (plus Quebec City) better. :D

7. bemylover macrumors regular

For indian food go to KAMA. Quite good, although a bit expensive.
    Also you could visit University of Toronto. I think it's worth it.

Don't go to CN Tower, it's a rip off. 40 bucks per visitor :eek: just for comparison, Empire State Building is only 9$.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Here's what you should do:

- Go shop on Queen Street rather than Eaton Centre. It's cooler and they have big shops there as well.

-If you're shopping on Queen St, and you're into outdoorsy sports stuff (backpacks, tents, climbing gear, skis, Gore-Tex jackets, etc), walk 10 minutes to King Street and go to Mountain Equipment Co-op and take a gander. Best stuff evvvarrr! Best store evvvarrrr!! Best prices evvvarrrr!!, too.

- Toronto has a decent "theatre district," so take advantage.

- If you like ice hockey, the Hockey Hall of Fame is in the downtown area. Oh, we get hockey games there as well, so I guess you could just go get the 1st hand experience at watching a Canadian team play in Canada. I'm sure it would be quite ace.

- Wanna go to a nice pub area? There's a place called the Esplanade. It's an area with lots of nice pubs, but there's one in particular, and I'm fairly sure it's in the Esplanade. You can get lots of great beers there. They serve very few crap beers (ie: Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue, that sort of beer). In fact, most of it is specialty beers that you'd really have to dig for. Several beers from Quebec, and it's one of the few pubs that would serve you a Leffe Brun. A few places have Leffe Blonde though, but this is getting off-topic. :D

- We have some pretty good art galleries in Toronto, but if you're going to go to museums, go to either the ROM or AGO. The AGO is an art museum, but it's pretty good.

- Take a walk around "The Beaches" area. Oops, just realized that it's winter over there. The area is nice, but better when it's hot. Nice shops, too.

- I would have said the CNE and Toronto Island as well, but again, it's winter. They should still have an exhibition there, no?

- If it's cold enough, go to City Hall and skate around the ice rink they have there.

- I would have said go to the Auto Show, since that usually happens around 20th of February. The Toronto show is one of the few that have "International" status, so it's actually not bad at all.

- Go to "Tim Hortons," which is a chain of doughnut shops, and yet so much more. Supposedly, over 25% of working Canadians get something from Tim Hortons at least once in their work day. Great coffee, especially for the price. Their food isn't that bad, either.

-Wanna see a fake castle? Go to Casa Loma. Forgot the history of the place, but it's quite nice. I'd ask them whether it's a place suitable for 2 adults to go to, because it might be boring. I forget.

HERE:
    http://www.toronto.ca/events/index.htm
    http://www.explace.on.ca/events.html

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Beat a track to Montréal. Just spend one day there. You can thank me later.

Also, you could stop by Ottawa and skate the length of the 8km Rideau Canal.

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

A nice area to go out for drinks, food, coffee, etc. is on College St West—College runs east-west, and I'd suggest taking a street car heading west from downtown until you get to, say, College and Bathurst, and then walking west from there.

That area is lined with little cafés, restaurants, and bars. It's not touristy, and you can usually find good food.

11. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

my tip: don't go to Toronto. least interesting part of Canada by far ;)

12. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Another thing, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) has been mentioned, but it's currently undergoing renovations, and when I was last there it was pretty disappointing (many areas were closed, and much of my favourite work wasn't currently on display). You might want to give that a miss. If you're interested in art, I'd recommend instead the Power Plant gallery.

13. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Fantastic! Thanks for the advice, people – especially Abstract...
    Oh, how well you know us... :p

We'd heard Toronto is pretty highly rated when it come to theatre, so we're planning a trip out to catch a play or something one evening. It's been quite a while since I last had a holiday (at least, more than a weekend break) so I'm definitely looking forward to it. :)

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

don't do that needle thing or whatever its called very boring....
    go shopping at roots.... i love their sweat pants... i wish they had one in boston.... :(