Torque

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefiend95, Dec 9, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I know this is totally irrelevant but i figured one you people may be good at this:

Joe is using a torque wrench to tighten the head bolts his monster truck. The required torque is 80 foot-pounds. The wrench handle is 18” long. How much force does Joe have to apply to properly tighten the bolts? While he tightening, his wrench measures 29 foot-pounds at a particular point. He turns the bolt farther exactly 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 50 ft.-lbs. He turns the bolt farther exactly another 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 69 ft.-lbs. Predict how many more centimeters he must move the wrench handle to reach 80 foot-pounds of torque. Predict the torque at which the bolt will begin to break.

the final torque they need to have is 11 => 80-69=11
    help please. thanks in advance

2. macrumors member

Joe needs to do his own homework else the bolts will break!

3. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

1) Do your own homework, it'll benefit you later.
    2) This is a forum for discussing iMacs, not Torque

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors regular

Joe should have used a snap on tech-angle torque wrench and then he could have watched the torque applied reading rise and see the torque applied for a given angle of rotation on a lovely LCD display. That way he'd get the head tightened down a damn site quicker

;)

8. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

It is quite simple really, [redacted]. But you know, you really should learn to do your own homework.

9. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

10. wordoflife, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012

macrumors 604

wordoflife

for the unlined part, could you just use t=rf, so 80=1.5f, so f = 53.3 of force. 1.5 is from the 18 inches, convert your units.

for the bold part, wouldn't it be just anything over 80 ft/lb?

and the middle part 11 = 1.5f so the force is 7.3 (not sure about unit for this, I normally use newtons because i use SI units). Now how to get the centimeters from that force, not sure. might give you an idea though.

also, this could be totally wrong lol