Torrent downloaded AVI files won't work in VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reno404, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Reno404 macrumors member

Hey guys!

Since I use Flip4Mac on my Intel Macbook, most of WMV files work fine.
    The problem I have now concerns some of the downloaded AVI files I got using the Torrent client Azureus. I download the file (350 Mb), then play it in VLC. 4 times out of 5, I get no sound, ni image, I can just see the progress going way to fast (a 40min episode runs in 10 seconds). 1 time out of 5 (approx), the episode works fine. Mplayer and Quicktime, even Flip4Mac-ed, won't play those files either.

Anyone else has this problem? Or know how to solve it? It's a bitch downloading 5 different torrents of the same episode, hoping one would end up working properly...

Thx

2. Paul S macrumors regular

I just downloaded a Seinfeld stand-up act in avi format and all I get is picture--no sound. I tried playing it on Quicktime, Divx, but no avail. (I have flip4mac).

Strange.

3. PillarFan1 macrumors member

ive downloaded saw and saw 2 off limewire, both avi, and they both work perfectly in vlc. whats a link to a torrent you cant watch

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I don't think it is a good move to ask for posting a torrent link here on macrumors.

Concerning VLC, I would say there is something wrong with the file you downloaded. VLC plays just about everything I throw at it. I would like to note though that my brother had a problem with a green diagonal appearing in some movies played in VLC (on macbook). Downloading the latest nightly build of vlc solved the problem.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The only files I know of tat VLC can't play are those using WMV9. When p[laying the troublesome file, hit cmd - I and see what kind of encoding it uses.

6. Deerhunter04 macrumors member

I use VLC for all playback on my Mac Pro and i've never had a problem. My guess is that it's a bad video file or something is wrong with how to torrent downloaded. I'd make sure both VLC and AZ is up to date.

7. theman5725 macrumors 6502

That happend to me when I downloaded an .avi file.

I used iSquint to convert the file and I got sound. Wierd, but it worked.

8. Paul S macrumors regular

I'll try that out. Thanks.

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Anytime I have a video file that either won't play in quicktime, or plays in QT but has no sound.

I run the file through the default settings of FFMPEGX, and so far it has worked everytime.

10. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem, so I downloaded the DivX player... it worked great !

11. flalaw macrumors regular