torrent help - set up router

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lanray, Nov 3, 2006.

1. lanray macrumors regular

Here's the story. I've downloaded and used "Xtorrent" with some success; however, it just crashes all the time, and then it won't pick up where it left off. So, I downloaded Azureus. I went into Preferences -> Network -> and configured a static IP replete with DNS servers (had to call my ISP, and it took an hour for them to get the info to me).

I'm trying to forward to port 65250. Is this something I have to do with my router? I am using a cable hook-up with Airport Express. If so, how? Needless to say, this has been a learning process for me. I still keep getting a NAT error.

BTW, when I was using Xtorrent, I got DL speeds of ~100kb/s - is that "good"? Do you think it'll be any faster with Azureus, properly ported?

Thanks! Rodney

2. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

www.portforward.com - will be your best friend :)

3. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

4. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

more info

Just talked with my ISP (Charter). So, the machine that I thought was a router is really just my modem (um...newb? yep). He said that all the ports should be wide open, unless I have a firewall. When I go to "Sharing" in Preferences, it shows my firewall as off. Is my Airport Express my router? If so, do I need to configure that for port forwarding?

5. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Success!

Always nice when something works. So I went back to that website, followed the instructions for Airport Admin, and BAM! it works.

Time to bask in my Bittorrent success....

6. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

also, Azureus

Just to say, the difference between XTorrent and Azureus is night and day. There's a lot in these forums about Azureus, and I read some of it skeptically. After using it for a day, now, I can say that it's a lot more stable, and there's plenty more "fun stuff" (i.e., statistics, settings) than XTorrent had. Also, XTorrent would crash on me for no apparent reason, messing up my DL's. I'm not getting as high a DL speed on Azureus, but I think I'm limited by my UL speed. Anyways, if you can spend the time to set it up, I'd go with Azureus.