torrent program

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Feb 7, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2006
    St. John's, NL
    Not sure if my post will get deleated for asking this quesiton or not, but does anybody know for a good mac bit torrent program?
  2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I use azureus. I don't know much about bittorrent, and don't use it very often, but it was easy enough for me to setup and I get good results from it. Have a search of the forum and you'll find similar posts to yours, and you can see what everyone else recommends.
  3. i.Feature macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    I second this.
  4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006

I have to agree azureus is great for the mac. Just a little much of a ran hog though but beside that it is a great program and it is what I use on my mac when I get torrets.

I wish they had utorret for the mac since it is a great torret program and has a much much smaller memory foot print than azureus but the same great easy to understand lay out.
  5. stagecustom macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Yes, this is by far the best! I use it always. I just downloaded transmission to see what that was...

6. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Nov 29, 2005
    How is Tomato Torrent when compared to Azureus?

From the TT homepage:
    Pretty scary if they've just implemented this in version FOUR. Seems like such a basic function -- torrs don't always DL and we have to turn off our machines, resuming a partial should not be a big deal.

Is TT as good as Azur?
  7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    To break it down yet again.

Azureus, = advanced users who frequent private torrent sites

everything else is simple to use and will work with public torrent sites.

After trying them all....a LOT

I've narrowed it down to

Azureus. for the private sites
    Transmission for everything else.

that about sums it up IMO

tomato, Bits on Wheels, Xtorrent, official, ect....all are the same IMO of course

Tomato can at least run on some private sites, but it opens a seperate window for each torrent which is stupid.
  8. flalaw macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2006
    United States
    i use xtorrent. nice interface and i am pretty much able to find whatever i want.
  9. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

Dec 7, 2005
    compost heap
    Azureus all the way. The new version is outstanding. It is very simple to use, yet, if you so desire - you have a ton of sophisticated options simply not available on the other apps (for mac). Also, the new version is much easier on resources, and starts and quits much faster than before. Plus, Azureaus is accepted on all sites, which is not true of some of the other ones. There is no reason to use anything else, IMHO.
  10. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    I previously used Tomato Torrent on my G5. I just liked it - small and simple. It is not a universal binary though, so now I use Transmission.
  11. Millwood macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2006
    Azureus has gotten better of late with all the updates to it. it's clearly the most comprehensive torrent program out there.